Hide News and Interests in Windows 10

With the next release of Windows 10, Microsoft is testing News and Interests on the taskbar. With News and Interests, you get a quick glance of dynamic content throughout the day. This article discusses how to show or Hide News and Interests in the taskbar. As News and Interests is just a taskbar feature, you can either hide it or configure it to show the icon only.

Disable News and Interests on Windows 10

To enable or Disable News and Interests in the taskbar, see the steps below:

1. Right-click the Taskbar on the desktop.

2. Click News and Interests.

3. Select Turn off from the list of options.

4. If you want an icon only related to weather, select show Icon only.

These steps can help you disable News and Interests on the taskbar.

Was this article helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It's a good thing that you describe how to hide it. Is there a way to completely disable this nonsense?

It's a very bad thing though that this is forced down our throats by MS. This should be an opt-in feature really. More and more (and that's just the beginning) in forums all over the question "How can I disable that stupid thing".

40 people found this comment helpful

Was this comment helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this comment?

Thanks meegia, appreciate the feedback. NI doesn't launch a separate process as far as I know, so there is no exact way that removes it from your device.

Sumit

Dell Inspiron 5590| Intel Core i5-10210U| 12GB DDR4| Nvidia MX230|Windows 11 preview

1 person found this comment helpful

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

If I select "turn off" the entire system tray breaks and goes blank. If I use "show icon only" the system tray start working normal again! Thanks MS!

6 people found this comment helpful

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree filling our pc with so much junk and having so much services running in the background when will MS stop this!

14 people found this comment helpful

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

This windows 10 forced everything is having a negative effect on me so far to many updates that add so called features and actually do little for the operating system itself. In many cases you need Windows 10 Pro to actually disable some of the so called helpfull features. Its forced bloatware.

Now has me looking seriously for an alternative for windows, apple just as bad need to really push for Linux.

Intrusive, demanding windows is not a pleasure to use.

15 people found this comment helpful

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Sumit, and Everyone,

Thank-You for the heads up on this matter, However I Really Enjoy the New "News And Interest" feature. With this New feature MS could actually remove the "News App" in Windows 10 if they wished to. Because you now have everything you need right in the "News And Interest" feature along with the same or close to the same information on your MS Edge Home Page. Perhaps we may see this in the next Big Update in 21H2. the consolidation of apps.

1 person found this comment helpful

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Sumit, and Everyone,

Thank-You for the heads up on this matter, However I Really Enjoy the New "News And Interest" feature. With this New feature MS could actually remove the "News App" in Windows 10 if they wished to. Because you now have everything you need right in the "News And Interest" feature along with the same or close to the same information on your MS Edge Home Page. Perhaps we may see this in the next Big Update in 21H2. the consolidation of apps.

It's an OS, not an entertainment system.
If I want to see news or weather, I open it in Firefox and find my own reliable news sources. I don't need some app that is on by default where I don't know what their news sources are. And if you look on Google and Reddit and so on, you'll see literary countless questions on how to disable that annoying thing.
And Edge is just another something many, many skip. A browser that is pushed so much, is openend with first install without me wanting that and then also already did sign me in into that browser? No, thank you, I'll stick to something like Firefox.

Windows is going into a direction that is disliked by many. Not for nothing many, many people (me amongst them) are using things like Open Shell Menu where you can still get a normal, small start menu with tree, where everything is clear and orderly and you can see in 1 eye what you want. The tiles and mess they made with the Start menu is a ****.... but that's not the subject here :)

Point is that MS is NOT thinking about their customers and assumes that we all want the nonsense they are adding ......

16 people found this comment helpful

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Has anyone found a way to Just turn off the news and weather? I like the rest of my system tray, but need the weather icon gone.

4 people found this comment helpful

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Has anyone found a way to Just turn off the news and weather? I like the rest of my system tray, but need the weather icon gone.

Hi,

It looks like you are hitting a bug that is reported widely. Please see the answer here for possible solutions.

Thread "System tray / notification area disappeared post-update; can be restored; disappears again if Outlook is opened." page 1: Sumit (Volunteer Moderator)'s reply on June 10, 2021 (microsoft.com)

Sumit

Dell Inspiron 5590| Intel Core i5-10210U| 12GB DDR4| Nvidia MX230|Windows 11 preview

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

thank God. waste of power pain in behind. Weather is annoying on my taskbar. NEVER mind the fact I did now ask for it, add it, ya know? I do hope Microsoft is not thinking of going stupid again. Going back to the browser wars in the 2000's. Netscape vs explorer.

2 people found this comment helpful

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Forum Article Info

Last updated September 20, 2021 Views 3,073 Applies to: