Tiles missing after 1809 update as well as Taskbar icons, how to get them back?

Tiles missing after 1809 update, how to get them back?  I do not even remember what they were but why are they missing.  I have tried the scan SFC in admin prompt thing.  Any ideas?
|

Hi Johnnyzenith,

Thank you for posting your concern on Microsoft Answer Community.

As you mentioned that the issue occurred after Windows 10 1809 update. We need few more information.

• When was the Windows 10 1809 update happened?

• Did the update happened automatically or did you perform any installation.

We would suggest you to follow the below methods and let us know if that helps you.

Method 1:

1. Open the Task manager.  Here’s a tip:  Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
  2. Click File > Run New Task.
  3. Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges
  4. Type Powershell
  5. Type the following in the Powershell prompt:
    $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
  6. Close the Powershell window.
  7. Reboot the computer and check if it helps.
  1. If the issue persist, follow method 2.

Method 2:

Create a new user account and check if you get all the tiles and taskbar icons. To create a new user account, please refer this link

Hope it helps.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

I have the same issue, just a handful of tiles are there.

I had errors updating automatically so went to the MS site and installed manually, no errors and everything working fine.  I installed over 1803 (I think thats what it was).

I noticed all of the tiles seemed overlayed in one place.  When I hovered over them a big bar extended from one side of the screen to the other.  

I am using a Surface Pro 4 on a 2nd screen.  When I unplugged that and went to just the SP screen it was the same.  I tried extending the SP screen so my desktop was across both and a few more tiles were visible (maybe 5-10 max, I have usually a whole screen of files and folders).

Also, I have tried refreshing, changing some of the icon screen options like changing icon size, snapping, auto etc. but none of them work.

In file manager all my desktop is still there, thankfully!

I tried the Powershel script above in admin, no errors, restarted and the same.  Tried logging in and out.  Same.
Rob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 28, 2020 Views 1,013 Applies to: