mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text

I've been playing whack-a-mole with some problem Store had installing "App Installer". I've finally gotten to the point where it seems to be installed correctly. But now I have a mutant entry in Start that reads "ms-resource:AppName/Text". There is no r-click choce that gets rid of it. It can be clicked on but does nothing.

Apparently there used to be a "Start Menu Troubleshooter" tool, but none of the historic links to it seem to link to anything now. DISM scanhealth found nothing wrong.

How do I get rid of this thing short of a) create a new user profile, b) resetting entire install and starting over, c) replacing computer?

Question Info

Last updated November 6, 2019 Views 11,985 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello,

This issue happens because an app is discontinued by Microsoft in a newer version. When you upgrade from version X to version Y, the apps which are no longer available on version Y may show as MS-(NAME), for example, ms-resource:AppName/Text

Removal of entries for those apps may involve tedious process. You may refer the suggestions provided here:

https://superuser.com/questions/1454651/how-do-i-remove-a-mutant-entry-from-the-windows-10-start-menu

For an instant resolution, you can also make a clean install of newer version.

Regards.

Note: Superuser.com is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Microsoft MVP (Windows IT Pro), since 2014 · Windows Insider MVP · Windows Help (www.kapilarya.com)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.