20H2: Any way to re-enable colored start menu tiles via registry tweaks?

Hello,

I am one of the rare folks who spends a lot of my time manually coloring my start menu tiles to make them beautiful. I really dislike the monochrome tiles that were recently introduced in the 20H2 update. Is it possible for me to re-enable colored start menu tiles, via some sort of registry change?

Thank you.

|
Answer
Answer

Hello,

I am one of the rare folks who spends a lot of my time manually coloring my start menu tiles to make them beautiful. I really dislike the monochrome tiles that were recently introduced in the 20H2 update. Is it possible for me to re-enable colored start menu tiles, via some sort of registry change?

Thank you.

Hey,

I found out how to do this using register editor, so what you do is open regedit and go to 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FeatureManagement\Overrides\0\2093230218]

and you change

“EnabledState” to dword:00000000

You will need access to the register key, so you can right click on it, go to permissions, then advanced and then on the top where it says “TrustedInstaller” click on change and enter the group “Administrators” now you can change the key.

(Sorry if this explanation is complicated it is a quick reply from my phone and the website isnt shown correctly on mobile if you dont get what Im saying you can go to https://www.howtogeek.com/262464/how-to-gain-full-permissions-to-edit-protected-registry-keys/ for a good explanation on how to get the permissions. If you changed the key you restart your device and your start menu should look like normal!

32 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 2, 2021 Views 1,953 Applies to: