OOBESETTINGSMULTIPAGE - something went wrong

Trying to sign into my son's Lenovo laptop and after logging in came up with blue screen and 'OOBESETTINGSMULTIPAGE - something went wrong' message. Looked it up and advised to simply click try again. Did this and then took me to screens that suggest it is a brand new device & asking to set preferences.

I have not done so as before I do, I need to know will he lose all his files if I do this as if it is a complete re-installation of Windows?

I have no idea what he may or may not have done to his laptop prior to this - it was apparently working ok yesterday. He turns off the laptop using the power button despite me telling him to shut it down properly & never performs security scans (I ran some about 10 days ago as he kept complaining of slow/freezing screens which were surprisingly fine).

I have tried to re-boot in safe mode in case I can actually sign in that way but cannot as 1) unable to sign in so cannot change any preferences when next booting 2) Shift & power from sign in screen does nothing 3) On/off 3 times also does nothing.

2 profiles on the laptop - cannot get any further than desktop being displayed briefly then goes straight to 'Do More With Your Voice' screen. Tried to get into task manager which is either completely blank or not responding.

Looked up the query and a number of suggestions state to log into account to carry out certain tasks - can't do this as can't get that far or to re-boot in safe mode - can't do that either.

Completely exhausted my limited knowledge.

Symptoms:

When you start a new Windows-based computer for the first time, the Out-Of-Box Experience (OOBE) process guides you through various configuration operations. In rare cases, you may encounter one of the following problems during OOBE. 

Problem 1:

Windows OOBE displays the following error message:
Something went wrong - But you can try again.

Problem 2:

Windows OOBE does not move to the next page and you will receive a "just a moment ..." request for a longer period.

Cause: 

This problem occurs because the specific range of the OOBE process causes a deadlock situation. This problem does not involve hardware and you can easily fix it.

Alternative solution:

For problem 1 ("something went wrong - but you can try again"), try again at the bottom of the screen. The OOBE process must continue as expected.

Issue 2 ("just a moment ..."), hold the power button until the system is turned off, and turn the system on again. The OOBE process must continue and complete as expected.

More information:

Microsoft is continually improving the resilience of Windows experience out-of-the-box-through continuous updates. The chances that these problems occur should diminish over time, as Microsoft identifies and solves specific time problems.

26 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The laptop is about 2/3 years old so is not new out of the box, it has already been set up via OOBE. This screen has occurred when trying to simply log in.

So are you saying that by completing the process again, it will simply mean that it is a reset of the preferences and all files/folders will still be there?

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, Paulie. According to my experience, you will probably not lose files/folders. It is indeed a reset of preferences. At the orher hand, the fact your laptop is 2/3 years old might be an issue as I am not aware about its prior conditions.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, Paulie. According to my experience, you will probably not lose files/folders. It is indeed a reset of preferences. At the orher hand, the fact your laptop is 2/3 years old might be an issue as I am not aware about its prior conditions.
Pls stop trying to blame her computer for being 3 years old.  I have the same issue which started after an update.  I cant turn off those stupid updates in windows 10, that suck the life out of my computer and eat up all the memory.  Everytime there's a major update, i spend weeks trying to get my computer to work again.  Clicking try again does nothing, same message keeps popping up and i can't get on my computer that was working fine before this latest update. Microsoft is nothing but problem for so many people.  Quit forcing the updates on us because they're just useless, waste of time and computer memory, and money people have to spend to fix their computer after your stupid updates. 

175 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 46,966 Applies to: