mouse hertz

hi, i was wondering if it is possible to change the hertz on a mousepad and if so, how?
Hi, I am Van. I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I'll be glad to help you today.

Could you tell me more details about your question? Are you perhaps using a wireless mouse and want to change the default frequency? Or the Frequency of a wireless charging mousepad? Or do you want to change the Polling rate of your mouse?

Also, could you tell us the make and model of your mouse and mousepad?

Best regards,
Van
Van S.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

oh srr, i meant the basic laptop mouse thing... i want to change the hertz because i think that is the problem i have in a certain game.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What exactly is the problem you are having, and with what game ?

What brand and model cpu and graphics processor does your machine use ?

- Polling rate, as mentioned by Van, is measured in Hz, but if your mouse does not have a profiling software to adjust this setting

you cannot change the polling rate.

Changing the polling rate would not affect gaming performance for a particular game anyway.

A higher polling rate makes the sensor slightly more, or less sensitive, to movement, A higher rate can help with lag... slightly.

However, this small amount of lag would usually only be noticed by pro gamers.

Of course a cheap and cheerful mouse can also be a negative.

There are several other causes of mouse lag, one of which is having V-sync enabled on a game that is running at a low frame rate.

If a game is running below about 30fps this can also cause lag, even without V-sync enabled.

A monitor with a low response time is another example. This is a fairly common with monitors that use IPS panels and while

some more expensive gaming monitors that use IPS panels have low response times, TN panels are more commonly the

best option for low response times.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

the game i am talking about is minecraft, when i play it on this pc my mouse moves very fast/weird, when i looked on the internet the only thing i dont know how to change is the "polling rate". source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v4zMOQ-sSU

edit: btw, i  am on an old laptop at the moment: with a i5 intel core, 8GB RAM, 64-bit operating system, (In Dutch so i try to translate everything as good as i can)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What brand and model mouse are you using with the laptop ?

- You will have noticed the (very long, wordy) video shows the profiling program for his mouse, and as I said earlier, if you don't

have a mouse that has this sort of program you cannot change the polling rate. In this case the default polling rate your

mouse has is what you are stuck with.

I haven't used a standard type mouse in years, but believe most standard mice come with a 500Hz polling rate.

Why an Minecraft update has made using a low polling rate vs a high polling rate necessary I have no idea, but this is obviously a

problem with the game and that update, and not a common mouse issue, which is why he thought mouse acceleration was the

source of the problem.

Assuming your mouse does not have a profiling program, short of buying a new mouse all you can do is wait for the next Minecraft

update and hope they fix the bug that was introduced with the update in question.

It is also very unusual for the polling rate to affect frame rates, so there must be something in the games update that is screwing things up.

btw - (if you aren't already aware)... Mouse acceleration is what allows you to move the cursor more quickly by 'snapping' the mouse.

This will cause sudden quick cursor movements.

Mouse acceleration is desirable on most desktop applications, but not desirable in most games as you want steady predictable

movement in most games. Especially when aiming in fps games.

However, many fps gamers do use mouse acceleration to help them spin around quickly, but you need to be able to stay calm

and keep a steady hand when under pressure to avoid swinging past the target. Especially if you are using a high DPI setting.

The ability to change the DPI speed either via profiling software or with a button on the mouse is another advantage of using a gaming mouse.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i see your answer, i have mouse acceleration off and sensitivity (also in game) low but still my mouse can move very fast but, ill use a separate mouse if I can change settings on there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oops - I misread one of your posts - " i meant the basic laptop mouse thing" and thought you were using a separate mouse.

I believe mouse pads are not a good option with games, and you may find a standard non-gaming mouse will still help

in this case, even if you are not able to change the polling rate.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i know it is not a good choice, i have a professional set at home but, i dont have anything for this laptop but, i still wanted to try to make it work but the mouse kept giving me this problem.... but, if you say i cant ill get a separate mouse for this pc

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've never used a laptop myself, but I believe people prefer using a mouse vs track pad on their laptops.

If there is no option to change the laptops track pad polling rate, a mouse is obviously the only other option.

It's possible your problem is to due to the track pad, not the game.

I just had a look at the date for that video, and see it is a year old. If a majority of Minecraft players had this problem

after an update, I would think it would have been fixed with a future update.

If not, there would be recent posts on various Minecraft forums from many people screaming at the developers to do something about it.

I still don't get the connection between the low fps and erratic mouse movement, but the videos OP did manage to fix it

by using a very low polling rate. In that particular case this is all that matters, but it may not be a universal fix.

What works for some does not always work for everyone, unfortunately.

- You probably should trawl the Minecraft forums for more information, and find out if others are able to use a track pad successfully.

btw - If you click on the globe at the bottom of this page you can switch to an Nederlands or Deutsch forum, if you prefer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2022 Views 380 Applies to: