how to conert jpg file to ico

How do I convert a JPG file to ICO file

Free online converter.

https://convertio.co/jpg-ico/

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello YoYo,
I am Matt, an Independent Advisor and also a computer technician/network engineer. I would like to assist you with this problem and hopefully I can help you to resolve this issue promptly.

One of my personal favourite online icon converters is https://convertio.co/jpg-ico/
A quick google search for "convert jpeg to ico" will result in hundreds of sites both free and paid.

However if you want to use windows only to do this you can do it with paint or any of your favourite image editors.

1. Open the image in paint (or favourite image editor)
2. Resize to the desired icon size (eg. 32x32px - In pixels)
3. Save the image as a BMP.
4. In file explorer find the file you saved.
4a. In File Explorer ensure you have "File Name Extensions" visible from the "View" tab of File Explorer.
5. Change the file name extension by renaming the file.

eg. MyFile.JPG to MyFile.ICO

And that should give you a usable icon, however the online converters are much easier.

EDIT: As someone has pointed out to me that renaming a file is not how to create an icon, I would like to point out that it was not asked in the question if this was to create a windows icon or not. The method via paint will not provide transparency and would not work for windows icons. In this case I would suggest an online converter or 3rd party software.  However using paint and selecting 24 bit BMP and renaming the file to filename.ICO will create an icon file making my previous answer valid.

I really hope this helps, let me know if I can be of more assistance. Have a great day.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Kind Regards,

Matt Horsley
Independent Advisor

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 17, 2021 Views 2,613 Applies to: