got a windows 10 pro disk off ebay

Got a windows 10 pro 64-bit disk off ebay has a key for oem software but says not a coa went to install and said was unknown publisher. Should i use this to upgrade from windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro or not Thanks?????

Hi bluerain, I am Andrew a Windows expert. Ebay is not an official retailer for Windows, you may have not purchased a valid copy. If you wish to purchase a valid copy of Windows 10 it can be done at this URL, https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/windows-10-ho...
I will send this to somebody that can help validate your copy of Windows 10.

Kind Regards,
Andrew
Andrew Way

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

HI.. do you know where I can go to check if this key I paid for is valid or not. Thanks if you have any info on this

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As AndrewWay1 informed in the previous post, OEM keys are usually provided by the manufacturer of the computer with pre-installed version of Windows or certain system builders. Usually, when you purchase a product key other than pre-installed copy of Windows, you should receive a digital license or a retail product key.

You can refer How to tell if you’re properly licensed

However, a genuine Windows 10 license should activate without any issues after the installation of Windows 10. For any activation issues you can refer Activate Windows 10

When buying Microsoft software as a digital download, we recommend that you avoid auction sites and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing sites. At the moment there are a limited number of sites where you can legally purchase digital downloads of Microsoft software. One example is the online Microsoft Store, where you can buy a wide variety of genuine software and hardware directly from Microsoft (in select markets). Additionally, you can purchase a digital download of Windows at www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-windows-10.

For reference, you can also check Tips for safer shopping – in person or online

You can also get in touch with Microsoft Support if you face any issues activating Microsoft Products

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The easiest way to up grade is go to the Microsoft website, go to support the virtual assistant will appear click windows in the first box in the 2nd box click Tech support, you will get to choose from a call back from M/Soft talk to the community or what I do is go for the live chat you get a  Tec person to install whichever windows on you pc / laptop via remote assistance. they will take care of it from there they are just the best they have installed win 10 on 5 of my laptops. You just need to have a product key I got my key on eBay.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sometimes OEM keys will not work for an upgrade... Even if they are valid for a Clean Installation..

But it may work perfectly, providing it is a valid key.. The only way to know for sure is to do the upgrade.. You might get lucky and not even need the key.. The free upgrade from 7 to 10 has expired, but it actually worked for me last month somehow..

If it doesn't work, you are no worse off than you are now, and would need another valid key..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 29, 2021 Views 574 Applies to: