Caps lock stuck on desktop

The indicator for "Caps Lock is on" is stuck on.  Caps lock is actually off, but the indicator won't go away.  I'm on a HP 251-a244 desktop and Windows 10.  My windows password is in all caps so i press the caps lock key when I log into windows. But after logging in, the caps lock indicator in the middle of the display doesn't go away. As I'm typing this, that indicator is front and center on my screen. Pressing the caps lock key works properly in terms of turning caps lock on and off but it doesn't remove the indicator on the display when caps lock is off. Here's a screen shot of my screen right now. Notice the "Caps Lock is on" indicator.  Please help!

Thank You

Steve F.

Check out this article how to disable it:
https://www.top-password.com/blog/disable-caps-...
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank You Andre but do you have any other suggestions other that modifying the Registry as I have had some bad experiances in the past with registry modifications.

Sorry this didn't help.

I suggest you go through the steps below and check if that helps you fix the issue.

Click Start and then select Settings.
Select the Ease of Access option and then select the Keyboard option on the left- hand side.
Then you will have an option for toggling the switch to turn on the notification.
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Sounds like it is a hardware error. Such as the power switch for the idiot light is stuck.

Does this happen if you plug in a different keyboard to the computer?

Does this still happen if you plug the keyboard in to a different computer?

If the problem is limited to that keyboard, unplug it and try giving it a couple "whacks" with the flat of your hand. Turn it over and whack it a couple of more times. Try plugging it back in.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank You I'll give it a try.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I don't have another keyboard but today after a hour or so it did go off. When and if it happens again I will try another keyboard. 

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Press and hold the Caps Lock key for about 5 seconds.  It works for me.

Hopes this helps!

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried everything mentioned here as well as other options out in the blogosphere. etc, on a Dell inspiron 15 Gaming laptop.
The only thing I got to work was to blow away the user and re-create the account*.
after that, the capslock notification would appear for a few seconds when I first logged in and disappear, the way it should.

A few things of note.
-The original problem occurred consistently when logging in with Capslock enabled.
-If I held down shift when logging in, rather than relying upon capslock, it didn't occur immediately but could (somewhat less consistently)  still occur if I toggled capslock on and off numerous times once logged in.
- Here's where it gets weird: If I dragged an executable or executable alias over the CapsLock On notification, it would act as if I were dropping it into the desktop directory, and the "Move" option would appear. BUT, if I chose to "move" it, it would then open the application. HOWEVER, if I did the same thing with a .txt document, the CapsLock On notification would disappear, and usually not come back, until the next log-in.

I don't know if others can replicate this, but i thought it might be helpful for the MS people or other gurus if this was something happening to others who otherwise could not get rid of the problem through RegEdit, Control Panels, or the other solutions offered up.

*-The machines I'm working on are on a workplace domain. I logged into the machines as a local admin, copied the User Folder, deleted the user account via the System Properties, rebooted, logged in again as the User, and copied their user folder contents back into the new user's directory.

Maybe this will help some of you who aren't getting anywhere with the other solutions offered up.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 20, 2020 Views 12,541 Applies to: