Windows 10 - Want to revert back to local account logon from Microsoft account but can't

I installed an App last night through Windows Store and now I have to use my Microsoft account to logon to my laptop. 

I wish to revert back to signing in with my Local Account and have done as many have suggested  

ie in Settings - Select Accounts and then click on the Your email and accounts tab.  Then Click on the option Sign in with a Local account instead

But I am not given the option of signing in with a Local account.   How do I revert back to signing in with my local account please ?

Question Info

Last updated January 9, 2019 Views 8,061 Applies to:

Hello Jill,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to  the Windows 10 Family.

Toe be able to assist you better, let us know the app are you referring to in this case.

Now, I suggest you to open Advanced User Accounts Control Panel to check if the Local user account exists or not. Please follow below.

• Press the Windows key and R from the keyboard to open the Run Command Dialog Box.
  • Enter netplwiz

If not, I suspect that the Local user account you were using has been connected to the Microsoft Account you own.

To convert the account back to Local User account, I suggest you to follow the below steps:

1. Sign in to your Microsoft account.

2. Click Start and then PC settings.

3. Click Users and accounts and under your Profile select “Sign in with a local account instead ” option.

4. Enter the required details.

5. Type in a Username, Password, and Password Hint that you want set for your Local account and click Next. Click on Sign out and Finish button.

6. It will then prepare your local account and your Microsoft account will be disconnected.

Let us know the results.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply.

It does seem that the Local User account I was using, named Administrator, has been connected/renamed to the Microsoft Account.  It has also created a User Icon on the desktop with my Microsoft name which I don't want.

Also, the option to 'Sign in with a local account' does not exist in Settings/Accounts.  Can I get this option back please ?

I do not have any other accounts on my laptop and don't want any others because of problems with access to my data files and permissions - a problem I previously had when I couldn't manage my files even though the user was an Administrator.

Basically, I'd just like it back the way it was !

The App I was installing was 'Overdrive' for libraries which allows users to borrow ebooks, audio books etc. The exe file downloaded in my browser as usual but when I ran it, it went into Windows Store which I wasn't expecting.  As it happens, it's not what I wanted and have now uninstalled it.

Hope you can help me again.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again

In response to your reply, I have now created a local user using 'Other Users' option in account settings in Windows 10 and made it an Administrator too but it's not attached to my Microsoft account. (The option to sign in as a local user didn't exist on my PC)

But I'd like now to know how I attach my Microsoft account to this new user and remove it from the built-in Administrator user (making that one my local user account instead)  I have hunted around for information but can't find out how to do it.

When I created the new user, Windows wouldn't let me copy the profile from my Administrator account - the option was 'greyed' out for some reason.  It would be a lot of work to build the new user to match my Administrator user account, as the Desktop is so different, half the apps are unavailable and I would need to set up Outlook again.

Any ideas please ?  Many thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi again

Having investigated as much as possible, I cannot find out how to revert back to my local account from my Microsoft Account on my built-in Administrator user Account.

I've had to do a System Restore in Safe Mode to a day before the problem  ie when my Microsoft Account got attached to my Administrator account and Windows 10 wouldn't let me chose the option to 'Sign in to Local Account', occurred.

I have now got Administrator as a local account and have built a new User account, local & Administrator priviledges.  It took me a long time to get all the software working again, so I hope no-one else gets this problem.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.