Windows 10 User Profile Service failed the sign-in

I recently upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1.  Both of my child accounts migrated from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 receive the following error:  "User Profile Service failed the sign-in. User Profile cannot be loaded."  I even tried creating local machine accounts, but when I try to login, I get the same error.

- Note 1:  I was able to successfully migrate and add the child accounts on a different laptop (I can login to the other laptop.

- Note 2:  My administrator account migrated just fine and I was able to login and add two other adult accounts (that were not part of my family settings).

Question Info

Last updated June 18, 2019 Views 30,428 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated. 

Method 1:

Try to enable the built in admin account.

1. Insert the Windows 10 Release Preview Installation Disc and restart the computer (If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.)

2. Click on Repair your System.

3. Click on command prompt

4. Type the command and press enter.

net user Administrator /active:yes

Restart the computer to login to admin account.

Note: Disable the built-in account after performing the troubleshooting using command:

net user administrator /active:no

Method 2:

Try creating new user account after enabling then admin account.

Follow the steps below:

1. In search type User Account.
  2. Select manage another account.
  3. Select Add a new user in this PC account.
  4. Click on Add someone else to this PC and follow the onscreen instructions.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards,
AS

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I do not have a Windows 10 Release Preview Installation Disc.  I used the Windows Update service to download/install the free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Home.  If I burn a Windows 10 Home ISO to DVD using the Windows Media Creation Tool, will that be equivalent?  If not, then how can I create or obtain a Windows 10 installation disc?  I want to avoid rolling back to Windows 8.1 or having to do a bare metal install of Windows 10. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had this issue as well since updating to Windows 10. Any old local users (no Microsoft account) worked, but any newly added (after Win10 update) local users never work. Delete and retry and nothing. 

Updated through the Windows update so no CD either. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't know if my problem comes into this category. Whenever I try to make an account and login with it using 'Microsoft Account' it shows the same message viz. 'User Profile cannot be loaded'. I had to use safe mode using F8 to create a local account and then logged in the local account in normal mode( it always allows my Microsoft account access in safe mode), deleted my MS account and now using the local account but missing all the fun of windows 10 (Upgraded from W07 (64 bit) to W10. 

Note:-1) Even now when I try to create any MS account (Administrator or standard) it cannot be loaded.

2) My Windows phone ( 8.1 Denim) is using the same MS account am trying to access my PC with.

Please Help!!

Sorry this didn't help.

We found a solution/workaround, this problem is the result of the Default user profile in Windows 8.1 that is not compatible with Windows 10. We had it on a couple of computers, but not all. It could be the result of a non up-to-date Windows 8.1 installation. Renaming the hidden Default folder under C:\Users\ and copying the Default profile from a working Windows 10 computer solved the problem. 

Renaming the folder and running sfc /scannow to recreate the default folder did not work!

146 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I was in this situation as well.  After much troubleshooting, I decided to reset my newly migrated Windows 10 tablet, with the clean drive option.  :-(

I did not have much data to backup.  The consolation was that the reset process worked pretty seamlessly.  Although it took some time for me to re-install my apps but the effort was worth it as it also resolved other system performance issues on my PC due to this clean re-installation.  It breathed new life into my tablet PC!

If you would like to take this option then make sure you backup your data and be prepared to re-install your applications.

Best regards,

Jude.

Sorry this didn't help.

Come on you have to give us more than this.

My child accounts worked fine before I upgraded to windows 10

at this point I have deleted and added back child profiles both online and in my system settings of windows 10 through my administrator log in . Nothing works It say user log failed the sign in even though password is correct

Sorry this didn't help.

Elc MS your solution worked for me. Thank you.

I logged in with the administrator profile that was working and copied a Default profile from another working Windows 10 machine as suggested. 

The default profile in c:\users is hidden (at least it was on my machines).  So you'll need to check Hidden Items under the view menu in File Explorer, rename the Default profile folder in the destination machine, then copy the Default folder from the working machine.   

Create a new profile or try to log in with one that was giving the error message.  After following these steps, Windows created the new profile and all appears to be working.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

All the other suggestions didn't work, but copying the default folder from an other windows computer worked flawless. And I had also an older windows which wasn't updated too much. Perhaps there is a problem there. 
Thanks very much for the work around

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Neither solution worked for me. The admin account does not work.

Adding another account did not work.

I posted this in another area related to family members, but I am also posting it here because it relates to user profile services:

I am having the same problems. I get "We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date."

I was able to add one account to family member (my nephew's), but that account does not fully work. Search the web and windows does not work, the windows menu is incomplete (does not have all items, tiles are missing, and some do not work), searches do not work, searches in explorer do not work.

I tried adding another family account to verify if it was just my nephew's account that was not working, but when I tried to log in with the new account, I get the profile error "The user profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded". And yes, it repeats service twice.

So far I have not seen any solution to this problem. Some people suggested to activate the native administrator account, but that did not work -could not log in either -; someone else said to switch to computer account, nothing, run a diagnostic tool, and it did not find anything wrong.

Nobody seems to have a solution to this problem. Before I go back to 8.1, I would like to try a solution that may work.

Although I do not think the type of computer has anything to do with the errors, here is what I have:

This is a laptop running W10 64b, Intel i7-4700MQ, 16G memory, Not joined to a domain, just the default workgroup.

Any ideas?

Sorry this didn't help.