Windows 10 can't add additional user account

Clean-installed Win 10-PRO yesterday.

I have 3 kids with Microsoft accounts & parental controls. I was able to add my first two kids accounts without problems. When I go to add my third, it's not an option. The options to "Add another family member" and "Add someone else..." are grayed out, and cant be selected. YES I am doing this from my administrative account but I cant figure out why it won't let me add any more. I can only guess that I am limited to 3 accounts on the machine, which is crazy. I have confirmed that the accounts still exist and they work on my Win 8.1 machine, but not the Win 10.

Ideas or suggestions?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

We're looking into this issue. In the meantime, I would suggest you to create a new user account. When you create a new user account, you would see a check box with a message asking if the new account you are creating is a child account' Check this option and continue with the prompts. Check if this works for you and let us know the results for further assistance.

Cheers,
Ben.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

At your suggestion, I went to the action center selected all settings then selected accounts then selected family and other users then selected add a new account at this point a new grey window appeared for several seconds then almost immediately disappeared. An icon made it look like it was running something but nothing happens. As soon as I move the mouse pointer, the icon vanishes. This grey window is common to efforts to login to store or to add my microsoft account. It also occurs when trying to login into Edge. When I try to set up the mail app I get a sorry message if I select Google and I get the flash of a grey window when selecting microsoft. Again, I run eset AV and Firewall but have the most up to date version and have uninstalled it temporarily to see  if this was the problem. I use Chrome as my default and can log into microsoft within Chrome. I have changed default browser to Edge to no effect. I upgraded from W7 and I'm running 64 bit version w/ Intel I5. I'm an Office 10 user. Everything else seems to function as expected. I appreciate your interest in this.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Adding a new person isn't an available option. It is greyed out and clicking it does nothing. I upgraded my other machine and I have all three on that one, but not this one. It is though I am maxed out on users or something. 

Also, even if I could get there I cant add a new account because he already has an account with his email address. Yes I can see it from the microsoft website as a child account, but not in WIN10 as an available account. Ideas?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried to re-add my Family member, but as a Child. This time the Family Member got an INVITE email, but when She accepted it, it said she would need to leave the FAMILY she was already in. This person does not show up on my log in screen ( only me, the ADMIN). She was on the WIN8.1 before upgrade to WIN10. Her folder name is present under C:\users\   (from WIN8.1) .

None of the NEW usernames I've tried to create show up under C:\users\.

Again, I am the only one who can log on after the WIN10 upgrade AND I can not add another user.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I hope you get an answer to this problem, as I'm having the same.  Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10, every time Microsoft account window pops up it is greyed out except for the header, then goes away.  No work around identified.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am still having the exact same problem you noted.  Very frustrating.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Last week, one of my attempts to add a user has appeared on the welcome screen. When I switched from "Picture Password" screen to the "Password Screen" option, the most recent new user was visible.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Trying it all again and I have the same issues. I cant create a new account because an account with their email address already exists.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The plusses for add family member or add other member are available, but only a gray box appears when clicked.  I need to get past the gray box with nothing in it in order to use one of the many "How to" instructions will work.  Any answers on this problem yet?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem. Can't add a new user.  The mail and calendar don't work either.  Click - nothing.  Please help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 8, 2023 Views 9,210 Applies to: