Why does Windows 10 automatically reset some of my privacy settings even though I previously turned it off?

Question: Why does Windows 10 automatically reset some of my privacy settings even though I previously turned it off?

On my computer, under Settings ->Privacy -> Other devices, I turned Sync with devices off. In addition in ->Background Apps, I turned all of the apps off too. However, when I restarted my computer, the Sync is turned on, and some of my apps are also turned on. This has happened twice so far, and I caught it. Why is this?

I'm afraid that even if I control all my privacy options to the maximum, Windows 10 will secretly turn it on without me noticing it, and I would have to continually check my privacy settings every single day. I don't think it's worth to upgrade it to Windows 10 if this is the case.

Thank you.

Claudia

Question Info

Last updated November 5, 2019 Views 1,057 Applies to:

Hi,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

You can deactivate this data sharing in Settings. You will need to go to "Sync your settings" and change the things you want to sync there.

Some other privacy concerns stem from Microsoft's virtual assistant Cortana. According to the company's privacy policy, to make Cortana "provide personalized experiences and relevant suggestions, Microsoft collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device."

The virtual assistant will also collect data about how you interact with Microsoft services, including "your music, alarm settings, whether the lock screen is on, what you view and purchase, your browse and Bing search history, and more."

To keep Cortana from getting access to all of this information, you'll want to select 'Stop getting to know me' under 'Speech, inking, & typing' in the privacy settings. This disables Cortana and dictation.

What's probably most concerning is that a lot of the information that is being collected about you doesn't necessarily stay with Microsoft.

Windows 10 also generates a unique ID for each user of the device that is used for advertising purposes. A person's data usage can then be accessed by third parties, like advertising networks, to target each user.

While you are in "General" privacy settings, you might also want to consider disabling some other functions, including turning off sending Microsoft information about your typing and writing.

Then you will want to scroll down to "Other Devices" and disable syncing with other wireless devices. This will make it so your device doesn't connect with beacons, which are usually used for advertising purposes.

Thank You.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

They're still doing this. I'm having the same issue. Update changes my settings.

Claudia - check your Cortana settings as well!!  Microsoft changes those, too, without your permission.

The bottom line is that we don't own our computers. Microsoft owns our computers. The only way to prevent this is to switch to Linux.

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.