What is "usoclientexe"?

Suddenly today for the first time I see when I am in any website this command black screen appears with the following path c:/windows/system32/usoclient.exe. Then it disappears. When I investigated by opening a file explorer window and searching for "usoclient.exe" I see this application USOClient.exe. in the property permission window shows as "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES " Allow read and write. I believe was installed by Microsoft as shows to be from a trusted source.

So my question is why Microsoft is doing this? Am I being monitor by Microsoft to see where I go?How come I have never seen this before?

|
It is part of Windoze. It is not actually spyware, it is part of the update system. This article provides some more details:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/usoclient-exe-win...
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Its a built in component in Windows and no, its not watching you. Here is how you can disable it.

Open Task Scheduler -> Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> UpdateOrchestrator

Disable Schedule Scan and Schedule Retry Scan tasks.

Add a task that runs Update checker at a time that's convenient for you

In the same directory click on Create Task...

Give your task a name

Click on Triggers and New...

Choose a time that this program can run without disturbing you. (I chose to run this program daily but weekly should be alright)

Under Actions click New... and then under Program/script copy and paste this %systemroot%\system32\usoclient.exe and next to arguments type this StartScan.

Under Conditions leave everything unticked except Start only if the following network connection is available:

Under Settings untick Allow task to be run on demand and tick Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed which runs the program if your boot up after the time your specified in Triggers section.

Click OK and you should see your newly created task in the list.
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Andre; I tried what you suggested. However I keep getting this error message when I tried to execute Task Scheduler. The Path is C:/Windows/WinSxS/amd64_taskschedulersettings_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.15063.0_none_5bfedd033d2b9dee

Error

Task

{User_feed_Synchronization_4d1300bc_71b7_44A1_9D5E_2B416C0824A3}The task or Object version is either unsupported or invalid.

What does this means?

There is another TASK SCHEDULER the path is C:/Program Data/Microsoft Windows/Start Menu/Programs/Windows Administrative Tools/Task Scheduler

I get the same error as above.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 15, 2021 Views 12,812 Applies to: