What is this bitlocker on Windows 10 Home Version?

I have a new acer ONE S1002, with a 64 bit, intel atom chipset, and 32 GB ssd, and 2 GB RAM, with a 10 inch touchscreen. It has Windows 10 Home 32 bit factory installed. It has a bitlocker encryption program included. I'm trying to understand whether this included bitlocker is sufficiently secure. I can't find any windows help pages or acer information on it.

Going to Settings > System > About and scrolling to the bottom has a paragraph explain bitlocker excrypts the drive and there is a button with Turn On and a link to bitlocker settings. Clicking the link to bitlocker settings does nothing. Clicking "Turn On " claims that it is encrypting the C: drive, and creates a Control Panel > System and Security > Device Encryption page, from which I can backup my recovery key and nothing else. Clicking Turn Off, causes a progress bar to pop up which takes about 15 minutes, after which the Control Panel page for it disappears. While on, the bitlocker settings link will take me to the control panel page that allos me to print my key.

Is there any way I can use it to encrypt my attached D: 16GB microSSD or my attached E: 32GB usb flash drive?

I also can't encrypt any individual files. Right click on a file and select properties > advanced > near the bottom is a checkbox that's labelled Encrypt contents to secure data but it won't accept a click.

Is this a microsoft program and is there documentation for it?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

BitLocker, formerly known as Secure Startup is a full disk encryption feature included with select editions of Windows Vista and later. It is designed to protect data by providing encryption for entire volumes. It is considered safe and secure as its name denotes.

For more details refer the link below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh831713.aspx

To know what features are added to BitLocker in Windows 10, refer the link below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/mt403325.aspx

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks & Regards,
Pawan Dhondiyal
Microsoft Community

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 4, 2020 Views 1,498 Applies to: