What Apps are best to 'shred' items when you empty the Recycle Bin?

I'm sure we all know that if we simply click on 'Empty Recycle Bin', the items are still recoverable. What are the best Apps to 'shred' them for best security?

I used to use CCleaner but some time ago experts here advised us to uninstall it; it had been bought by Avast and ended up 'bloated' and causing issues.

I've been recommended to buy 'Eraser'. What do the experts here use, please?

PS I'm surprised that Microsoft hasn't bought one of these companies.

Hi Taffy,

I’m Rey, your Independent Advisor.
I understand you are want our opinion as to what will be the best file shredder. Let's work on that.

To me, I also recommend you the Eraser instead of Ccleaner. Though Ccleaner is powerful but it erase files and documents once it detects that it slows down your system. Even if that app or file is vital component of you system. It will make your system corrupted.

Well, Microsoft may not have that feature yet, probably they do not use it that much or contented of the deleting feature since their aim is for general usage.

I hope this answers your concern. If not, let me know and I'd be glad to help you.
v_realo

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Try below app.

https://www.bleachbit.org/download

I am a regular CONTRIBUTOR on docs.micrsosoft.com Asus Laptop R542UQ-DM153-Intel_i5-7200u_Nvidia_940mx_2GBvram-16GBram-2TBHDD_2TBHDD_250GB_M.2SSD_Windows10_Enter_2004_64bit_19042.572

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

Hello both. I've just installed ccleaner version 5.66. It worked immediately with NO problems.

@v_realo. Hello Rey. What makes you think it will corrupt my system? Have you any evidence to support that?

version 2004, OS build19041.572
BE SAFE, TAKE CARE.
You MUST visit "Sharing experiences and staying safe, together" - see Andreea_C's profile

Sorry this didn't help.

I've just been told this about v_realo: 

This profile was previously affiliated with Microsoft and has since been retired. Previous posts can still be viewed for this account.

Does "retired" mean "kicked out"? I guess I'll never know why he thought my system would be corrupted if I used CCleaner!

BE SAFE, TAKE CARE.
You MUST visit "Sharing experiences and staying safe, together" - see Andreea_C's profile

Sorry this didn't help.

* Merged

Some time ago, experts here advised us to uninstall it; it had been bought by Avast and ended up 'bloated' and was causing issues. If you search the Community you'll see that there are lots of queries about the App, mainly "is this safe?".

I asked the same question in my thread HERE  and was told by an Independent Advisor that it would corrupt my system and was also slow. I asked him what evidence he had but I'll never find out because this is what his profile shows

This profile was previously affiliated with Microsoft and has since been retired. Previous posts can still be viewed for this account.

I've no idea what 'retired' means and it would be wrong of me to wonder whether or not it mean "sacked - not up to scratch".

I've just installed version 5.66. It worked immediately with NO problems. So if any other user has problems, I suggest that they install it from https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

Their very helpful community forum is here https://community.ccleaner.com/

Unless experts here disagree with my findings, of course

* Original title: Ccleaner is safe to use. Windows 10

BE SAFE, TAKE CARE.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 4, 2020 Views 120 Applies to: