User account not added to Welcome screen after converting from Windows 7 to Windows 10

In Windows 7 I had two accounts on my PC.  Home was the name of the local account with Administrator authority.  User is the name of the local account with User authority.   Under Settings, Accounts, Family & other users, Other Users lists an account called User as a local account.   The account called User does not appear on the Welcome screen.   Only an icon for the administrator  account named Home appears on the welcome.  

Question: How to I add the existing account called User to the Welcome screen?    

Question: Why didn't the conversion process add both accounts to the Welcome screen?

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2018 Views 687 Applies to:

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query to Microsoft forum. I will certainly help you with this.

How did you install Windows 10?

I would suggest you to start the computer with hidden admin.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. This helps us in identifying whether the issue is due to some third party programs conflict. The word Safe mode appear in the concern of your monitor to identify which windows mode you are using.

Method 1: Safe mode

1. Type settings in search and click on Settings.
  2. Click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
  3. Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.
  4. Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot.
  5. If you don't see the Startup Settings option, tap or click advanced options.
  6. Tap or click Startup Settings.
  7. Tap or click Restart.
  8. On the Startup Settings screen, choose the Safe Mode.
  9. Sign in to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights.

Method 2: Active hidden admin account

1. Press Windows + R key on the keyboard.
  2. Type cmd in the run bar.
  3. In Command Prompt type this command: net user administrator /active:yes
  4. Press Enter and Restart the computer.

Try to create new user account now.

If you are able to do so deactivate the hidden admin account.

For that follow the step :

1. Press Windows + R key on the keyboard.
  2. Type cmd in the run bar.
  3. In Command Prompt type this command: net user administrator /active:no
  4. Press Enter and Restart the computer.

Method 3: Perform SFC scan

I would suggest you to performSFC scan and check if that helps. The sfc/scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. It is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Refer the link:  Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

Refer to Windows 8.1 steps, as they are applicable to Windows 10.

Hope this information help and let us know the status of the issue we will be glad to help you further.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried Method 1.    I signed into my Admin account.  I rebooted in the recovery mode and got a good Welcome screen.  I logged into my User account and got the message: You'll need a new app to open this MS-GET-STARTED.  I updated the User account to show a picture on the Welcome screen.   I rebooted to test the result and the problem became a little clearer.   PROBLEM:  The Ocean screen appears for an instant then the logon for the last user begins.  The Welcome screen with the two logon account icons never appears.

Now for a little background.    I am working on my second installation of Windows 10 because the first was a disastrous mess.   I had this same problem during the first installation but I was able to resolve it using a procedure that stumbled upon by just using the panel of a normal system.   I regret that I did not make a note of that procedure. 

Sorry this didn't help.

A little more.    When I am logged on to either account, I am able to go to the Start button,  click on the user icon at the top of the black box, sign out, get the ocean and beach picture, hit escape and get a good Welcome screen with the icons for both accounts.   So the problem is restricted to the boot process where:

1.    The ocean picture appears for an instant.

2.    The Welcome screen containing the two logon accounts never appears.

3.    The logon for the last user begins automatically.

Sorry this didn't help.

I ran sfc /scannow.    Results: No intregrity violations found.   Could an installation option choice have caused this problem because I did change some of the installation default options for reasons of privacy?  The beach screen still flashes by as though there is some sort of "script" telling the logon process to automatically logon to the user that was previously logged on prior to the last boot.   Please treat this situation as a bug. 

Sorry this didn't help.

As for Method 2: Active hidden admin account,   I do not want to create a new account.    I wish to retrieve the user account aptly named User because that account has been tuned to my daily work schedule.    As for "Try to create new user account now.", if I try to create a "new" user account named User, will all of the existing accounts for User be deleted?   

Sorry this didn't help.