Troubleshooting log in issues in Windows 10 – Incorrect Password Errors

Technical Level : Intermediate

Summary

If you just upgraded to Windows 10, but you are unable to log in because of an incorrect password error, there might be a combination of factors why. In this article, we show you how you can resolve the problem.

Details

First, if believe you have forgotten your password and you were running a previous version of Windows such as Windows 8.0 or Windows 8.1, then review the following article. Also, this pertains to configurations that used a Microsoft Account, such as a Hotmail, Outlook, Live or MSN.com domains. If you were previously running Windows 7 or earlier or a local account on Windows 8.0 or Windows 8.1, then password reset might not work:

When you can't sign in to your Microsoft account
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12429/microsoft-account-sign-in-cant

Why can't you sign in?
https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx

The Microsoft Community can not help with lost or forgotten pins/passwords  per Microsoft Policy. (All the help we are allowed to provide is in the links below - and there is some.)

Keeping Passwords Secure- Microsoft Policy on Getting Around Passwords
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/keeping-passwords-secure-microsoft-policy-on/39f56ef0-5d68-41ad-9daa-6e6019c25d37

If you forgot you password, please review: Microsoft: I Forgot My Password

If you upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8.0/8.1 with a local account, there might be a number of reasons why you are unable to log in.

Were you using a password at all in your previous version of Windows? If you were not using a password and you are prompted, leave the password box blank then hit Enter.

Check to make sure your language option on the Sign in screen is correct. If you are English speaker, check to make sure it is set to that language.

Were you using a PIN or a password? A password contains alphanumeric characters and possibly symbols, while a PIN consist of four numbers. Check to make sure you are choosing the right option. To do so, click the Sign-in options link, then choose the appropriate button.

Is caps lock on or is it possibly interchanging because of an issue with your keyboard? For instance, caps lock might not be working properly on your keyboard, when you are supposed to be entering capital letters, it is registering common letters. Use the password preview to check your password. You can also try using the on screen keyboard to log in.

If you have multiple user accounts setup on your computer, make sure you are logging into the right one.

PIN Not Working

If your PIN is not working after a Windows Update or you forgot it; switch to using your password instead then update the PIN.

1. On the login screen, click on "Sign-in options", and try to login to Windows with your Microsoft account or local account "Password".

2. Click on Windows icon on the bottom-right corner, on the top of Start Menu, click on your account, and then select "Change account settings".
  3. On the left-side panel of Accounts settings, select "Sign-in options".
  4. On this page you have a number of "options" "Require sign-in", "Windows Hello", "Password" and then comes "PIN".
  5. Directly below "PIN", you will see two buttons: "Change" and "Remove".  Click on "Remove". 
  6. You will be asked "Are you sure you want to remove your PIN?" etc, etc. Below all this you will find two more buttons: "Remove" and "Cancel". Click "Remove"
  7. A Log-in Box now opens for you to re-enter your "Password". Enter your password then click "OK". 
  8. You will be returned to the "Sign-in options" page where you can now "Add" a "PIN" once again.
  9. Enter your new PIN and confirm PIN, click on "OK" to reset your new PIN for your Windows.
  10. Please be sure to Restart your PC and Sign-in with your new PIN to confirm. 

If there is another account on the system with Administrator privileges, try logging into that account, then reset your password from there. Press Windows key + R then type: control userpasswords2 then hit Enter on your keyboard

Select your account then click Reset Password. Enter a new password then click OK. Try logging into the account.

For computers connected to a Domain, contact your Network Administrator. There might be an issue with Kerberos authentication or the version of Windows Server is not compatible.

Quick Tip: Join a Windows 10 PC to a Domain

Restart your computer a few times to see if you are able to then log in. There might be a small delay also, so wait a few seconds then try again. Again, use the preview button to make sure you entered the right characters.

If Windows 10 prompts for a password when you never had one and you are unable to log in, your best option is to try rolling back to your previous version from the sign in screen. If you are able to rollback successfully to your previous version of Windows, try updating your password in Control Panel then try using the Media Creation Tool to upgrade or the ISO file.

Learn more about rolling back:

How to: Rollback to a previous version of Windows from Windows 10

Advanced options you can consider trying:

Cannot create user account during out of box experience or sign in, non-responsive bahaviour (Welcome Back) page.

Option 1:

• Wait 1 hour and try again.

Option 2:

• If you are upgrading from a previous version and Windows is configured to boot to the desktop automatically, hold down  CTRL + ESC keys and Windows 10 will load the default user.
  • Press Windows key + X, click Computer Management
  • Click Local Users and Groups
  • Double click Users
  • Right click in the right pane and click New user
  • Create a new user account and password

Credit: Rajasekar S

Option 3:

• If you are using a laptop, power down laptop.
  • Remove battery
  • Wait 10 minutes
  • Connect using direct current
  • Power up laptop
  • Proceed to create user account and log in

Option 4:

• If you are attempting to setup a Microsoft Account, setup a local account instead then connect to a Microsoft Account after setup.
  • If you are setting up a Local Account and you are getting an error message, power down computer.
  • Disconnect from the Internet (Wired/Wireless).
  • Unplug computer, wait 10 minutes.
  • Reconnect computer, start up (remain disconnected from the Internet), also disconnect any non-essential devices.
  • Try creating account again.
  • If the problem persist, try Startup repair

Boot from the Windows 10 media

How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

a) At the Install Now screen

b) Click Repair your computer

c) Click Advanced Options

d) Click Safe Mode

If you get an error message saying that ‘installation cannot be completed in safe mode’, then press Shift+F10 key. That will open

Command Prompt, from command prompt.

We are going to attempt to create a new user account.

Example: net user Username Password /add

Where there is Username replace with the account name and where there Password replace with the desired password.

Example: net user adacosta2 pwhelp /add

Press Enter on your keyboard

You should see the following message The command completed successfully.

Type exit to close the command prompt.

Restart the machine and try logging into the new account.

Resources:

How to: Complete the Windows 10 Out of Box Experience

How to Recover Your Lost Windows Password

Forum Article Info

Last updated November 19, 2019 Views 23,830 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The installation of W10 (unprompted) utilized a user account the appears to be part of the copier/printer (Ricoh) installation.  The Ricoh technician was not able to provide any assistance in providing  a password.  I am not able to get past the lock screen as I can not submit a valid password.  Any further suggestions?

My logon screen shows "Other User" and no matter what I try I cannot log on. As I can't get past this screen I can't roll back to Windows 7 or access an administrator account. 
I am in a similar situation... The account That I had been using in win7 is not shown on the login screen after windows 10 upgrade. It gives me option  for signing into two accounts Localuser and Localuser II and I don't have password for any of them. I  am missing the account that I had always used prior to this upgrade. So now I am locked out of windows... Any suggestion will be appreciated. 
I have been able to access my account on my PC but the laptop was set up with the same password yet I can not get past the sign in screen on the laptop its says wrong password so I am unable to use the laptop. no good at all I might as well put it in the dust bin
I found this answer VERY BAD because it does not provide anything close to a definitive solution to the problem.  It merely lists a number of problems, ALL CAUSED BY MICROSOFT, to which we are currently being made victims.  Microsoft is a disaster.  Windows 10 is a disaster.  I am being locked out of my computers because of this terrible problem.  

I will be more specific.  I had Windows 7, with no password.  I was virtually FORCED to upgrade to windows 10.  It actually worked a few days.  Then I turned the computer on again, and it showed a screen asking me for a "password".  Problem was, I had no password to give.  Fortunately, I have a second computer, or else I'd have no choice but to take the first computer in for service.  Will Microsoft pay for that?  Somehow, I don't think so.  Somebody needs to attack Microsoft with a big, fat class-action lawsuit about this.  I PAID for Windows 7.  It WORKED.  It DIDN'T screw me over.  Now, the fool who wrote this item says,

"If Windows 10 prompts for a password when you never had one and you are unable to log in, your best option is to try rolling back to your previous version from the sign in screen. If you are able to rollback successfully to your previous version of Windows, try updating your password in Control Panel."

Oh, REALLY?  How do I 'roll back to your previous version from the sign in screen'?!?   I can't even log on to the computer, guys!

All Microsoft stockholders should lose ALL their equity in Microsoft stock, to be paid to the victims of Windows 10.

I will be more specific.  I had Windows 7, with no password.  I was virtually FORCED to upgrade to windows 10.  It actually worked a few days.  Then I turned the computer on again, and it showed a screen asking me for a "password".  Problem was, I had no password to give.  Fortunately, I have a second computer, or else I'd have no choice but to take the first computer in for service.  Will Microsoft pay for that?  Somehow, I don't think so.  Somebody needs to attack Microsoft with a big, fat class-action lawsuit about this.  I PAID for Windows 7.  It WORKED.  It DIDN'T screw me over.  Now, the fool who wrote this item says,

"If Windows 10 prompts for a password when you never had one and you are unable to log in, your best option is to try rolling back to your previous version from the sign in screen. If you are able to rollback successfully to your previous version of Windows, try updating your password in Control Panel."

Oh, REALLY?  How do I 'roll back to your previous version from the sign in screen'?!?   I can't even log on to the computer, guys!

All Microsoft stockholders should lose ALL their equity in Microsoft stock, to be paid to the victims of Windows 10.

You are apparently not bothering to reply.  Now the problem is happening to me, too.  I was apparently forced to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10.  For a few days, the thing SEEMED to boot.  Today,  now, it FIRST shows a screen with a beach, and when my mouse wheel brings down the other screen, I see my name, "Jim Bell", in large letters, as well as my direct email address in smaller letters below.  A box appears below that, saying "Password".  Problem is, I don't have a password,  I've never had a password.  So, I don't type anything, except hitting the "Enter" key.  "Please enter your sign-in information and try again".  But I have no "sign-in information" to provide.  Thus, I cannot log in.  I cannot use that computer.  The only reason I can access this is that I have a SECOND computer that isn't YET screwed up.

Did you attempt any of the recommendations in the article such as rolling back?
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did you attempt any of the recommendations in the article such as rolling back?

Uh, pardon me, but I guess you didn't bother reading what I wrote.  The problem was that the system was asking for a "password", but I had never assigned the Windows 7 computer a password.  So, it was not allowing me to go past the logon, which means that all of the "solutions" you list were completely unavailable.

Do you realize how bad that makes you look, when you ask if somebody has done something, when that sombody is entirely incapable of logging on to the computer, and thus cannot do what you listed?

Now, it turns out that the problem was eventually solved, and it was entirely the fault of Microsoft!   Apparently the IDIOTS who wrote Windows 10 decided to give computers whose software was being upgraded a "Password", even if those computers had never before had a password.  Even that wouldn't be such a problem, except that your foolish software didn't bother to TELL me that it had given my computer a password.  Much worse, even THAT wouldn't be such a problem, except that your IDIOTIC software didn't tell me WHAT that new password is.  Eventually, I found that your IDIOTIC software had used the password of a Microsoft.com account, WITHOUT TELLING ME.  How would I (or some average computer-user) have anticipated this monumental foul-up?

You (Microsoft employees) need to learn to APOLOGIZE for screwing up the world so badly.

Hi,

I can't log in to my computer. I am using a pin for my login, and was going to try the instructions for "Pin not working", however I don't have the Windows icon on the bottom-right corner, on the top of Start Menu. Do you have any other solution? This is so frustrating because I cannot access my stuff.