"The System cannot find the file specified" on Windows 10 Login

Hello,

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 a few weeks back on my PC. Everything was going really good until yesterday when I tried to login to my windows account it was hanging and then read the message, "The System cannot find the file specified". I tried to login on all profiles and the problem persisted and would not let me in. 

Any ideas on what could have caused this? More importantly, any ideas on resolutions?

Thanks for the support,

Eric

Answer
Answer

Hi Eric,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you are getting error "The System cannot find the file specified" while logging in to User Accounts. I will surely help you to fix this issue.

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

1. Conflict between third party applications.

2. Corrupt System Files.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1: 

I suggest you to boot the computer to Safe Mode and check if the issue occurs. If the issue do not occur in Safe Mode, I suggest you to set the computer in a clean boot state and check if it helps.

Step 1:
I suggest you to refer the article to boot to safe mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Step 2:
If the issue do not occur in Safe Mode, perform a clean boot and check. Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Warning: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode. 

Method 2:
If the issue persists, I suggest you to perform SFC (System File Checker) Scan from Safe Mode and check if it helps. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and replace them. 

a. Click on Start button and type cmd in the search box.

b. Right-click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

d. Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit Enter.

Note: Do not close the Command Prompt Window until the verification is 100% complete. The scan results will be shown after this process is finished. 

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 4, 2021 Views 18,891 Applies to: