Forum Article

Reset local account password on Windows 10

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

Describes the steps to reset you local account password on Windows 10

Details

A Microsoft account is a single set of sign-in credentials (email address and password) that provides user access to PCs running Windows and connected services from Office to Outlook to Skype.  If you lose or forgot your Microsoft account password, you can recover it from any other device with access to the internet: follow these steps.

A local computer account is an account that is created for a particular device. 

If you don’t have a Microsoft account, forgot your local computer account password, and do not have access to a local administrator account for your computer to reset your password, you can’t recover it.  Instead, you’ll need to reset your PC

Warning:  Following these steps will remove all of your data, programs, and settings.

• Start your PC and select the Power icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the lock screen.
  • While holding down the Shift key, select Restart.
  • On the Boot options menu, select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything.
  • Your PC will restart and will reset itself.

What do I need to do if holding the shift key down and pressing restart doesn't work?

Heh. Never mind. The left shift key is evidently broken. 

After following above instructions, i am getting message that "Unable to rest your PC .A required drive partition is missing " .

What can i do if my pc cannot reset because of not enough space?

I bought a Windows 8 Machine, and upgraded to windows 10 later.  At that time my microsoft account and computer were not linked.  Once they were I could no longer change my local password, only my microsoft account password.  I would like them to be the same, but they are not.  Can I make my local machine's password the same as my microsoft account password?

I am currently booted into a Windows 10 laptop with admin account. The admin account is local, and I lost the password. Can i reset this with, say, command prompt running as administrator?

While holding down the Shift key, I select Restart, on boot option I choose Troubleshot but there not the option Reset this PC on the next page

Forum Article Info

Views: 6,259 Last updated: July 16, 2018 Applies to: