Missing User Account After Windows 10 Upgrade

I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the free upgrade. Initially during the upgrade and configuration, I was using my account or profile. However, didn't see my wife's account at login. After install and setup was complete, I was updating a few programs out of date due to the upgrade, restarted, and at login only my wife's account was present. No option for me to login. I looked in the Settings/Accounts/Family & Other users and there isn't anyone else listed except her. I still have a file under users on the C drive but not sure how to fix this without having to create a new account. There is also a profile for my account under System Properties/ User Profiles. During initial setup when I was logged in, my desktop setting were exactly how they were with Win 7. So, no clue as to why my login profile is no longer available for login or user switching. Thanks
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your issue, however you can follow the steps below in order to bring the missing user account in a group.

• Open administrative Command Prompt.
  • Paste following command and press Enter:

net localgroup “Administrators” [Computer Name]\[Missing User] /add

Basically, it seems that it wasn't visible because the missing user didn't belong to any group.  Add them to a group and it all comes back. You can see all the profiles at "View Advanced System Settings" under the "Advanced" Tab, clicking Settings under User Profiles. 

Hope it helps!

Thank you.

Thank & Regards,

SuJata Moktan.

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I ran the command and my user account is a member of the administrators group. As stated earlier, I know the profile for this account exists as I was able to locate it on the user profiles tab. It just isn't an option for login.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We have a similar problem. 

Our Windows 7 machine had two local accounts; one was an administrator user, the other was a non-administrator user.  Note that neither of these accounts required a password.

The upgrade was performed by the administrator account.  After the upgrade, the administrator account was missing.  Only the general account was accessible.

The remedy above does not work in our case because we are not being allowed to perform administrator operations.  The security dialog pops up but will not authenticate because it requires a password.

HELP!  We can't operate our own machine after upgrading!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A remedy that was suggested between here and another Win 10 forum site, did nothing for me. I did solve my problem but not sure if it will work for you without an admin account. Since my profile folder was still accessable on the C drive under users. I copied that to another drive. I had to create a brand new account and one at a time folder by folder copied and pasted almost everything from my profile folder to the new account. The only areas I didn't paste over were anything related to Windows. This first time I tried this, I pasted everything and I lost access to specific things related to Win 10 because I probably pasted Windows data only related to Win 7. So my second attempted worked without any hitch. ONly thing lost was my old username.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is not helpful. That command doesn't work. When I was on the phone with Microsoft support they tried something similar and it wouldn't work because the random account that was magically created is now the admoinistrator and I wantr my old administrator account back.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

- What is the exact issue that you are facing?

- Are you using Microsoft account or Local account?

- What do you mean by “random account that was magically created”?

Help us with more information to assist you further.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 

I upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10 using my local account. My problem now is administrator account is missing, i cant install new application software because it requires me to install it in admin account and i think its disabled. Tried to fix it in command prompt but it didnt work. Please help me i really need to fix this one. Thank you.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

try this

http://www.thewindowsbulletin.com/how-to-fix-user-accounts-missing-after-upgrading-to-windows-8-1-1659/

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This problem first showed up in August of 2015.  Here it is 10 months later and Microsoft has not changed or fixed the problem.  We had 6 user account on our church computer.  The update to windows 10 failed to properly convert 3 of the accounts, especially the administrator accounts.  All attempts has asked for the password for the one administrator that does know their password.  Microsoft should be sued for allowing this problem to continue to plague customers for this long.  No telling how many wasted man hours this problem has caused and will continue to cause.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think that this instruction would have been more helpful to the typical non-techincal user by instructing the user to first go to the Control Panel (by right mouse clicking Start) and clicking on System, then in the left column, clicking Advanced System Settings, (not View Advanced System Settings) etc., to determine their computer name and the name that is missing.

Then you can suggest that one copies the command to Word or an available editor and replace [Computer Name] and [Missing User] with the appropriate information before opening the Command Prompt.  The user can then copy and paste the command having now used the syntax of the command correctly.

I think that Microsoft can do much better than that when helping a non-technical person, don't you think?

35 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2021 Views 24,190 Applies to: