MIcrosoft News Notifications - Hacked????

All right, Microsoft.  I wake up today, and THIS is what greets me on my computer.  I'm running an HP TouchSmart 300-1020 (an older computer) with Windows 10 Home, Version 1809 installed 11/30/2018, OS Build 17763.379.  I use Norton Security version 22.17.0.183, Malwarebytes, and my computer has been checked several times and is virus/malware-free.

I do not subscribe to ANYTHING called "My Movies."  I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how this GARBAGE ended up in my Microsoft News Notification area (in the little Notifications area on the right side of the Taskbar).

Would you please explain how this happened?  If ANYONE should know, YOU should; it's YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM!  Has the Microsoft News Notifications feed been HACKED????  Are there any others who have seen this behavior in their Notifications area?

Question Info

Last updated November 21, 2019 Views 409 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Due to a configuration error in the Windows 10 News app notifications (English edition), some customers reported seeing test notifications. This issue was resolved on March 29th via a configuration update for existing versions. We have also released a new version of the app that addresses the issue. The notification does not affect the application or use, and this issue should now be resolved.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Hi saganized

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

It is not a hack, but appears to be an anomaly in Microsoft's notification system that somehow got through. You really should not be seeing. Other users are reporting it too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoft/comments/b6u...

I would ignore it and clear the message from the Action Center.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.