Locked out of Windows 10

I recently upgraded to  Windows 10. My password said it was going to expire today, and I forgot to change it before the deadline. I have a pin # to enter my computer quickly.  Unfortunately my pin is the first four numbers of my password. Due to this every time it says I must enter my password and not my pen it thinks I'm entering my pen it will not let me get past the lock screen. I am completely locked out of my computer. I do not have a reinstall  disc, since I bought the laptop used.  so I am completely stuck with the windows 10 locked out.  I am truly regretting the upgrade.  Can anyone help? 

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We regret for the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to perform the following steps and check:

1. Use the power button on the sign-in screen to Shift+Restart. This will take you to the recovery boot menu.
  2. Click Troubleshoot, Advanced options, Startup settings. When given the choice of startup options, try booting the PC in Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
  3. In command prompt, type the following command and press Enter.

net user administrator /active:yes

After enabling built-in administrator account, you may logon and enable the account which is not working.

You may later disable built-in administrator account. Type the following command in command prompt and press Enter.

net user administrator /active:no

Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps. If you face any issues with Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have a similar issue. It doesn't show me a PIN access option which I used to use earlier and I cant log-in into my laptop using the Microsoft account password as it is not getting connected to WIFI or LAN. There are no issues with my internet.

I tried the option you mentioned but it does not give me a option to select any booting options. The only option that is highlighted is RESTART.

Please help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

You may want to refer to the suggestions provided by Cliff_N replied on December 7, 2012.

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm running Windows 10 and it was set up to not require a password.

Suddenly, after being powered off, it requires a password.

I've tried this fix several times and still cannot open the Command Promt

without entering a password.

Now what?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope. Didn't work. Still asks for a password. See "Locked out of Windows 10. The fix is here."

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also locked out after doing update for windows 10 on my laptop. Is there an easy fix

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 19, 2020 Views 2,108 Applies to: