How to remove security questions and answers for local user accounts?

Hello!

At installation of Windows 10 April 2018 Update ( Windows 10 version 1803 ) using bootable media I am prompted to choose 3 security questions from a list of common questions and to write the answers for them.

This should serve the purpose of account recovery in case I forget the password.

The problem is that these questions are very common and many people know the answers or can get some hints by doing a search on the web.

I want to remove these questions and answers.

In "Settings" app -> Accounts -> Sign-in options -> "Update your security questions" there are the same questions as in Setup.

Does anyone have any idea on how to remove the questions and their answers for a local user account?

Thank you!

Question Info

Last updated May 20, 2020 Views 12,761 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

If you've already set them, clear your password (any method appears to work, even offline stuff that directly edits the registry to remove the password), and then set your password again.  Note that this may lose you access to any encrypted files on your system.

For a new install, you can install with an empty password (put nothing in the password field when it prompts you), and then set your password after install to avoid having to set them.

48 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.