How to create Guest Account?

Does Windows 10 have the option to create a guest user account? I see in the settings where I can add an account of someone who has an existing Microsoft account, but I don't want the account to be attached to a specific account. I just want to be able to have a general guest account for anyone who wants to temporarily use my computer . 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

Please be informed that Windows 10 does not have the option to create a guest user account.

But you can create a Standard User account without an email address and password. Follow the steps below:

1. Go to Settings and click on Accounts.

2. Navigate to Family and Other Users.

3. Click on Add Someone else to this PC.

4. Click on The person I want to add doesn’t have an email address.

5. Click on add a user without a Microsoft Account.

6. You may enter your desired name for the account and leave the password section blank and click on Next.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

283 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Does Windows 10 have the option to create a guest user account? I see in the settings where I can add an account of someone who has an existing Microsoft account, but I don't want the account to be attached to a specific account. I just want to be able to have a general guest account for anyone who wants to temporarily use my computer . 

I activated the in-built Guest account August 01, 2015, by  following the howto-connect.com instructions (net user guest /active:yes from an elevated command prompt (right-click Start/Windows button and select Command Prompt (Admin)).  Guest then appeared in the list of available accounts on the lock screen.

I have, in the past couple of days, activated the Guest account on two more Win 10 PCs.  The command line echoed that this had succeeded, and Guest appears, as one of the alternatives, when I click on my account name at the top of the Start Menu, but when I select it, instead of switching to the Guest account which is not password protected, it takes me to the lock screen, where Guest is no longer shown.

Microsoft appear to be suppressing the Guest account, for reasons that I/we do not know.  We should be told.

32 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"Microsoft appear to be suppressing the Guest account, for reasons that I/we do not know.  We should be told."

I-Panda, I agree.  I was able to reactive my Guest  Account. But, the screen flickers and continuously refreshes. Unusable. I tried the non-Microsoft (Local User) account option. Profile Service would not load it. Don't know what Microsoft's intention is; but, trying to force me to give others increased access to my computer IS NOT AN OPTION. And since the recent updates failed to address these issues before the deadline, I am reverting back to Win8.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Please be informed that Windows 10 does not have the option to create a guest user account.

But you can create a Standard User account without an email address and password. Follow the steps below:

6. You may enter your desired name for the account and leave the password section blank and click on Next.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Sorry it just doesn't work

Darlnitsme

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sorry it just doesn't work

What part doesn't work?  This works for me.  It's not a real guest account like I want but at least it's an account that doesn't require a password.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello!

The concensus of opinion in this forum is that it is impossible to recreate in Win 10 the Guest account of previous versions of Windows.

The workaround is to create a local user account (you may have to Google (or Bing) how to do that), which, by definition, is not a Microsoft Account, and doesn't require an e-mail adddress, or other identity details.  You may also have to Google/Bing how to retrieve any docments in your previous version of Windows Guest account, which disappeared when you upgraded to Win 10.

Name this new local user account Visitor, and create it as a Standard user, not Administrator, and you will have as close as you are going to get to the old Guest account.

Thank you.

i-Panda

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have no idea why Microsoft doesn't have a "Enable Guest Account" checkbox on Settings/Accounts/Family & other users.  After dumping all this time and money into producing Windows 10 to intentionally make this difficult is truly strange. 

For whatever good reasons there may be, this is very irritating.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, but try as I might this does just NOT WORK.

2.  Navigate to Family and Other Users.

3.  Click on Add Someone else to this PC.

I follow the instructions down to 3, but when I select I get the following screen!

Something went wrong

Try again, or select Cancel to set up your device later

Cancel    Retry

What I am supposed to do now.   As far as I am concerned, with family and friends who sometimes need to use the PC when I am not around, they are unable to!

Windows 10 appears to be more and more useless

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did the above quite successfully I thought... until I tried to log on to it.  I put in the password I had set and got the following:

User Profile Service failed the sign in.  User profile cannot be loaded.

Anything I can do? 

For Heavens sake all I want to do is create an account where a friend can log on and use their email accounts and my printer etc but not see every thing on my pc.  In older versions it was possible... how come so much seems to have been made more difficult in this so-called improved technology?

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did the above quite successfully I thought... until I tried to log on to it.  I put in the password I had set and got the following:

User Profile Service failed the sign in.  User profile cannot be loaded.

Anything I can do? 

For Heavens sake all I want to do is create an account where a friend can log on and use their email accounts and my printer etc but not see every thing on my pc.  In older versions it was possible... how come so much seems to have been made more difficult in this so-called improved technology?

This worked for me on several Win 10 devices:-

Firstly, open an elevated command prompt by going to Start menu/All Programs/Windows System, right-click Command Prompt, select More, select Run as administrator, then;

1. Enter "net user Visitor /add /active:yes" (ignore quotes) to create a new account. You can replace “Visitor” with whatever name you wish, but be sure to change it for every command on this list.  “Guest” is reserved by the Windows system.
  2. Enter "net user Visitor *" (ignore quotes) to create a password for the account.
  3. Press Enter key twice to create a blank password.
  4. Enter "net localgroup users Visitor /delete" (ignore quotes) to remove Visitor from the regular Users group.
  5. Enter "net localgroup guests Visitor /add" (ignore quotes) to add Visitor to the guests user group.

You now you have a brand new "guest" account!  This account will have the same privileges as the old guest accounts, but, I am told, that it does not wipe settings and local files on logout.

(Super User via Laptop Mag gratefully acknowledged)

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 92,592 Applies to: