How can I track the location of a stolen laptop, windows 10 installed on it?

Hello,

My Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series, N7537 laptop has been stolen (robed actually). I was searching a way to find it out. But, I am shocked that nothing could help me. Every solution was telling about a per-installed app. But, the thief will be formatting my hard-disk for sure, if he wants to use it. Is there any way to find the location of the Windows 10 Laptops? At least history. I can see, my laptop is listed in my device list of my Microsoft account.

Any sort of help to find the location of my laptop (at-least history of the location) is appreciated.  Please don't suggest any Pre-installed software. You already know, I have no option to install it on my laptop.

Appreciate your help.

Question Info

Last updated November 25, 2019 Views 6,307 Applies to:

Hi,  

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We are sorry to inform you that we do not have any kind of such applications to track your laptop.

Please reply us back if you have any further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Microsoft should have such applications. As windows 10 has location service and world is moving so fast. It is very disappointing !

23 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Isn't it high time to think for it? Mobile can be tracked , But laptops are not!!!! So funny! 

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

If you want that feature you'll have to buy a MacBook with OS X! But, you can still run Windows 10 on it ;) 

Seriously, anti-theft tracking is only available if the computer manufacturer supports such a function.  You can't really expect an Operating System Developer alone to provide such a service, or Microsoft to take responsibility for tracking every windows laptop in the world without charging for such a service.  Besides, too many people are already complaining about being 'watched' by Microsoft, can you imagine what the reaction would be if they introduced automated computer tracking (he said, donning his tinfoil helmet).

As far as mobile phones are concerned that is undertaken by your service contract provider and it's the usage they track so that the phone contract can be remotely disabled. You have to pay an insurance premium if you want your phone covered against theft/loss.

MJA
Windows Insider, Surface Pro 3, MacBook Pro (VirtualBox + Windows 10)

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your elaborate reply.

So, how 3rd party software like Prey works? I agree with you, some people  would be complaining about the service as you mentioned - 'watched' by Microsoft. Still, there should be option for the user whether he is interested of being monitored or not? Only for the security purpose, I have no problem if it is  being monitored, not my data only the physical location and to access that, there some security system can be developed.  

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

i totally agree with no tracking or built in devices serve this. altern  i would buy a mini device the size of a credit card/smaller sizes and hide it inside any device i need tracked.  If this was invented and given at a low cost or free , imagine the receiving stolen property
arrest will be up. Even if the track inventor received a 2% recovery fee in the free Tracker program. I always say 'a solution is out there. 

Sorry this didn't help.