Disable Windows 10 auto updates

This auto update really drive me crazy. I 'm on a very important project , i'm using my computer almost 24 hours every day, rendering and uploading very big files. The problem is this windows 10 updating keep asking me to restart. Dude , i don't want to install anything on my system while i'm running important project , the chances is something may not work after system updates (as many users experiences). So how can i shut this thing up ? i've been very tired every time it ask me to restart for the last 2 months , i keep delay it, but it keep asking again and again. One day i let it go to restart and install but the install seemed to be failed and it rolls back again to my previous windows, the stupid things is i keep failing all the time to update, so i have to face the fact that it always asking me again and again to update (which if i let it update, it may fail again like previous one). So please , please give a smart way to deal with this ? how can i make my window (at least until my project is finished) to not ask me again for updating .

The other stupid thing is this windows update dare to restart without my permission, do you guys in windows know how this is so stupid. I left my computer with my app still running doing some previewing, go downstairs for a cup of coffee, and when i get back in half a hour, i found my pc has been restarted, my app was closed, what the hell ??? i 've experienced this more than 6 times. Windows, how dare you restart my computer without asking me first. Any good explanation ? 

Thanks

*Modified title for accuracy*

*Original title: HELL STUPID WINDOWS 10 AUTO UPDATE - HOW TO STOP THIS FROM DISTURBING MY LIFE ?*

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi metaclay,

My name is Fernando. I am a Microsoft Independent Advisor. I am here to guide you with possible resolution to the issue you are reporting.

Please refer to the following link to make changes to your automatic update settings:
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-windows-...

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let me know how it goes.

Respectfully,

Fernando Y.

Disclaimer - This post contains reference to non-Microsoft websites and there may be ads on the page for products & services including products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Product). We are not endoring any products that appear. Please use caution when downloading utilities/software or using any services advertised.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Fernando , thanks for the answer. But i believe even the same windows 10 will have many setting variant , am i right ? i can't find that setting mentioned in that link you gave me.  That's weird , the advanced option doesn't give me option to select 'auto' or 'manual' like in that screenshot, am i missing something here ? pls check my screenshot. even if i already set to pause the updates ( like in that pic). half an hour ago my windows restarts itself and do updating (but again it fails and restoring to previous version), until now it continue to behave like this, it will ask me again and again to update . And why i couldn't find that setting ... that pulldown menu to select auto/manual is not there?

I just woke up now and found my comp restarted again. All my open app are closed , so unbelievable. Any idea ?

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This route will disable updates temorarily. Did you want to disable permanently? If so, may I ask why?

To disable permanently you can follow these procedures:

To block the upgrade by using Computer Configuration, follow these steps:
Click Computer Configuration.
Click Policies.
Click Administrative Templates.
Click Windows Components.
Click Windows Update.
Double-click Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update.
Click Enable.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is another resource that might help you. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-download-and...

Disclaimer - This post contains reference to non-Microsoft websites and there may be ads on the page for products & services including products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Product). We are not endoring any products that appear. Please use caution when downloading utilities/software or using any services advertised.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks ,  i don't want to disable permanently. But at least don't disturb me while i'm in running project. It's intense right now as i'm in a deadline. like i promise to send a preview to my client in 30 minutes and end up the windows restart itself and have to wait my computer  doing upgrade, it's really not good at all. Anyway how to go to that 'computer configuration' ?

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

sorry i found it, but no 'Double-click Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update. ' like you mention.  Am i missing something ? which one should i setup correctly? i just tried to set some configuration there. Did i made a mistake ?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would enable "No auto-restart with lgged on users for scheduled automat..."

I would recommend you reverting back to the default setting once you are done as it is very important to keep your computer up to date.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried all the "hacks" to stop Windows from updating.  It won't work. It was going great for past 2 months and it still suddenly restart on April 9th.  I only kept the computer on to see if my "hacks" worked.  

I have to run Forex 24/7 as well so I've moved on and revet back to Windows 7.  I went on Craigslist and found some old laptop that support Windows 7.  MT4 actually works better on Windows 7 then Windows 10.  

On my main computer, I've moved on to Apple due to Windows 10.  I run Parallels with licensed Windows 8 for those Windows program. 

I suggest you to give up on Windows 10 as you no longer have control of your computer. 

It won't get better.

Here are the resources from my "hacks"

Creator Update
https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/101264-win-7-win-10-how-do-i-prevent-sleep-time-out-24-7-a.html#post1249041

Creator Update: Windows 10 Anniversary Disable update
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/12/03/allow-only-manual-updates-on-windows-10/

Creator Update: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hello/cant-disable-login-screen-after-windows-10-1709/a0d01e86-3727-4542-b45b-2fd0cbed1cae

Uninstall https://www.ghacks.net/2014/08/18/how-to-uninstall-windows-updates/

https://getwpd.com/

https://developingdaily.com/article/windows/how-to-turn-off-windows-10-automatic-updates/50

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just had my computer auto restart after working on something for over an hour.

Needless to say I lost my work.

Why is Microsoft letting their OS be ruined by overthinking programmers?

I am lost for words.

43 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

**** you Microsoft!!!!!  ive done everything to update 1709. nothing works, and I cant even reset or recover my windows. my computer is only 6 months old,  **** fix this ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 24, 2023 Views 12,298 Applies to: