Guest account at windows 10 not working

Hello, I write this post because I'm not sure if I'm the only one who has this problem. I wanted to enable the guest account so I ran This command "compmgmt.msc" and then went into local users and groups> users left clicked on guest account and in properties I disabled the "Account is disabled" option. But when I start Windows it only appears my main account. Is there any way to make it work?  Sorry for my english and thanks.
I am having issues in turning on/enabling guest account too.  I have asked the question separatetly but no joy yet.  The problem I am also having is when I run compmgmt.msc, I do not get local users to check the different account and not sure why.  However net user code does shows the guest is there?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello, I write this post because I'm not sure if I'm the only one who has this problem. I wanted to enable the guest account so I ran This command "compmgmt.msc" and then went into local users and groups> users left clicked on guest account and in properties I disabled the "Account is disabled" option. But when I start Windows it only appears my main account. Is there any way to make it work?  Sorry for my english and thanks.

I activated the in-built Guest account August 01, 2015, by  following the howto-connect.com instructions (net user guest /active:yes from an elevated command prompt (right-click Start/Windows button and select Command Prompt (Admin)).  Guest then appeared in the list of available accounts on the lock screen.

I have, in the past couple of days, activated the Guest account on two more Win 10 PCs.  The command line echoed that this had succeeded, and Guest appears, as one of the alternatives, when I click on my account name at the top of the Start Menu, but when I select it, instead of switching to the Guest account which is not password protected, it takes me to the lock screen, where Guest is no longer shown.

Microsoft appear to be suppressing the Guest account, for reasons that I/we do not know.  We should be told.

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have experienced the exact same issue.  Please post a resolution id one becomes available

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is actually an intelligent answer to this question and you can find it at:

http://www.top-password.com/blog/tag/windows-10-guest-account-not-working/

However I would not recommend doing this.  I tried it and got the following rather scary results:

• After trying to log in as Guest, I just sat there on the login screen and watched it say "Preparing Windows" indefinitely.
  • After doing a reset, the machine went straight to logging in as Guest again. This time it succeeded and came up with a black screen and a task bar. A message came up then saying "Shell Infrastructure Host has stopped working".
  • Successive restarts got me back to the same place. I was eventually able to break out of this loop by clicking "close the program" (on the dialog box) often enough. After that I did Ctrl-Alt-Del to get myself back to my own login, which thankfully was not corrupted.

If you should be so reckless as to try my experiment, you can then spend even more time going down the rabbit hole here, where people are discussing the "Shell Infrastructure Host has stopped working" problem.

So ... apparently Windows 10 has very serious problems with the Guest login and really at this point cannot support it. Which I guess is to be expected from a product that is really still just a beta-test minefield.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello!

The concensus of opinion in this forum is that it is impossible to recreate in Win 10 the Guest account of previous versions of Windows.

The workaround is to create a local user account (you may have to Google (or Bing) how to do that), which, by definition, is not a Microsoft Account, and doesn't require an e-mail adddress, or other identity details.  You may also have to Google/Bing how to retrieve any docments in your previous version of Windows Guest account, which disappeared when you upgraded to Win 10.

Name this new local user account Visitor, and create it as a Standard user, not Administrator, and you will have as close as you are going to get to the old Guest account.

Thank you.

i-Panda

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you actually created such a Visitor account and logged into it successfully?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

David

Yes, it took me all of a couple of minutes to create the account.

As you can see, from the above screenshot, at the top of the Start menu, Visitor is logged on, and from the Accounts window, there is a user named Visitor, who is a local user/account, a Standard User not Administrator, for which I didn't set a password, and signed in without an MS a/c,.

i-Panda

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you very much. I appreciate that you've actually done this. So it makes me wonder ... if anybody can create a working non-admin account, why does "Guest" behave so catastrophically when I undo Microsoft's multiple attempts to disable it? Isn't "Guest" just an ordinary non-admin account?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi David

Your paragraph raises a few issues:-

1. As at the release date of 29.07.2016, The Guest account was present, but trying to sign in as Guest merely caused Explorer to go into a crash/refresh loop.
  2. MS were aware of this undocumented feature, but, rather than fix it, they removed the, by default inactive Guest account, and the ability to activate it.
  3. From the dozens of threads started on the Community, the whole Guest account mess has caused a lot of users a lot of heartache and wasted effort in trying to get it to work.
  4. Some folk lost sight of a lot of data (documents/pictures) which were stored in the Guest account of their previous version, prior to upgrading to Windows 10 (this data, is, in fact retrievable, but you have to know where to look for it).
  5. Despite being aware of all of the foregoing, I have not seen one post by an MS staffer, confirming that the Guest account doesn't exist under Windows 10, (a year down the track) isn't coming back any time soon.  Indeed, isn't coming back ever, and what it is that MS have against the Guest account?
  6. The Guest account wasn't just an ordinary non-admin account.  Unlike the Standard user account, no permissions could be given to the Guest user to change any settings on the computer, whereas a Standard user could, by supplying an Admin user password when prompted.
  7. So, we can see that an unmodified Guest user account made your computer more secure than creating an unmodified Standard user account for your visitors.
  8. Could it be that MS, ideally, only want users signing on with Microsoft Account credentials (although we know that it is easily possible to set up local user accounts Standard and Admin)?

Thank you

i-Panda

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sadly this seems to be Microsoft policy on essentially all bugs. No comment, no acknowledgement, nothing until they either fix it or an eternity passes. Consider the "black screen of death" problem in all Surface tablets - a flagship market that Microsoft desperately wants to participate in. There were posts of this problem going back as far as 2013. I never heard of Microsoft ever stating anything officially about this problem or ever even acknowledging that there was a problem. All buyers of "RT" family hardware are still stuck with it and there is as yet no word or acknowledgement about that either. It strikes me as a really lousy customer service policy. Nobody ever talks about these sorts of things as being components of Microsoft's eroding market share in various areas, but I think that customer trust erosion is a huge factor.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 29, 2023 Views 8,956 Applies to: