"Google chrome critical error"

This red screen that says "Google chrome critical error" keeps popping up when I'm using Chrome! It happens on any website. It has happened on Ebay.com which I assume is a safe website. It's really annoying and I'm wondering why WINDOWS DEFENDER DOES NOTHING???

IS IT BECAUSE WINDOWS DEFENDER IS A PILE OF TRASH OR WHAT???

PLEASE HELP.

Hi,

There is a possibility that your browser got infected with a virus or malware. To isolate the issue, we suggest that you use a different browser to check if the issue persists. If it is only happening with Chrome, clearing cache and cookies, resetting browser's settings and reinstalling the app will be the basic troubleshooting steps. Getting in touch with the app developer will be our last resort if the above possible solutions fail.

Hundreds of Malwares and Viruses are being released every day and to keep our devices safe from any attacks, it is best to keep our PC protected by always installing any suggested cumulative and security updates in Windows Update Settings. We also suggest to update your Windows Defender and then do a full system scan to get rid of the issue.

Regards.

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Look at your browser extensions as well as your installed programs if you see anything fishy which needs to be removed......

In general, the best remedy against these fake Tech Support alerts/warnings is the use of a good advertisement etc blocker.

I'm a Firefox user and use and recommend the browser extension uBlock Origin which exists for Chrome too, see here.

Suggestion to take the time and read:

May 4, 2018: I won't participate anymore in MC. Enough is enough.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I was just looking at Walmart's website and this same thing happened to me on Chrome. It's not letting me close out of the browser to uninstall Chrome and I can't access any of Chrome's settings to clear the cache and cookies or reset the browser settings. When I click around nothing happens. I have other tabs open and even I can't access them, though, a YouTube music channel is still playing. All I can do on Chrome is minimize the browser or change the size of the browser. 

I'm very worried about this since I cannot uninstall the browser.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm also very worried and I wish someone knew how to make this stop! I have tried every anti-virus known to man and none of them have removed it! I'm starting to think Vladimir Putin himself created this thing. I want it to stop its ruining my life!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Gemzon Mar! I have found that the issue happens in Edge as well. It happened when I viewed EBAY in BOTH Chrome and Edge. I have done many system scans and the issue will not go away, PLEASE HELP ME!

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I don't know why or how but I was eventually able to close down Chrome and uninstall it. I kept clicking the red "x" to close the browser. I don't plan on reinstalling Chrom, but now I want to know if there's anything else I need to do to be sure my computer is safe.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. We understand how important it is for you to fix the issue as soon as possible. We would like to know if you already tried Jsssssssss' suggestion. The link that he provided contains important information on how to prevent malware infection. Since the issue also occurs when using Edge, let's try some methods that may help in addressing the issue.

Method 1: Let's try to perform a Clean Boot by following the steps in this link. Some apps run automatically during the boot process. When you start Windows by using a normal startup operation, several applications and services start automatically, and then run in the background. This includes infected apps and programs. Performing Clean boot will help stopping infected apps running on bootup process.

Method 2: Uninstalling any unwanted and unknown apps from the Add/Remove Programin Control Panel. Some downloaded apps from the internet contains malware specially if it is from unknown sites.

Method 3: You may also try resetting Hosts file back to the default. But first, check the default contents here. If your Host File has more text or entries, it is possible that yours is infected or modified. This process on resetting Hosts file will also work on Windows 10.

Kindly get back to use with the results.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows Defender (assuming you kept it up to date) isn't doing anything because nothing is trying to get into your computer. Not yet, anyway. These pop-ups (drive-by attacks) rely on the user (in this case that would be you) to start frantically clicking all over the place trying to shut the  damned thing down.

The thing to do is take a deep breath. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the Task Manager. Use that to close your browser.

Then go to the Microsoft Store and download one of the free ad blockers you see there.

Or use the one Jssss recommended above. Personally I like the AdBlocker Ultimate from the Microsoft Store but they all work about the same.

This should keep these lurking bits of rubbish from popping out at you with their jump scare tactics until the idiots who write the code for these things find a new way around your blocking program. Of course, you can regularly update the program as well and try to at least stay even with them. 

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I got this from accidentally clicking on an ad while multitasking.

1. Use ctrl-alt-delete to access "Task Manager".
  2. Right click "Chrome" and select "End Task"
  3. Reopen Chrome.
  4. If you don't see the "critical error" screen, click the three dots on the right-hand-side of your browser.
  5. Select "More tools" > "Clear browsing data..."
  6. Make sure the "Time Range" is set to include when you encountered the error.
  7. Check all boxes.
  8. Select "Clear Data"
  9. Open Windows Defender Security Center and select "Advanced scan"
  10. Select "Full scan"
  11. "Scan now

Steps 9-11 are just a peace-of-mind precaution. You should be fine clearing your browser data per steps 1-8.

Amy Scarfone, PhD

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 20, 2020 Views 16,452 Applies to: