Crypto jacking and data mining

I recently read an article about data mining. I use Avast internet security s/w so I asked them if their software protects against crypto jacking. They said it does detect and block data miners. But it does not work with IE and Edge because they do not support add-ons from Avast or other. How can I protect myself from crypto jacking or data mining when using IE or Edge?

Moved from: Windows / Apps on Windows 10 / Microsoft Edge

Hi,

Windows Defender is the primary anti-virus program of Windows operating system. It is very essential for your computer. This program has defensive measures that keep viruses and malware off from your PC by detecting it. Visit this link: Help protect my computer with Windows Defender for more tips on how to secure your computer.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your reply. I understand you suggest to use Defender in stead of Avast. Using both would not be logical. But according to the 'experts' Defender is not as good as most AV software, like Avast. And Avast has more options. They also say that Defenders slow malware scanner has a heavy system impact. So to protect me from Cryptojacking in Edge and IE I would have to use Defender, which is inferior to Avast AV. Or I should switch to another browser like Chrome or Firefox which work with Avast add-on's. I wouldn't mind switching to Defender (it's free!) if I would know for sure it would protect me from any harm, but I don't think it can. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry am not too familiar with Avast, but am wondering why they need to have a browser add-on running for protection?  Is web traffic not protected via the endpoint client?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I suppose you're right. I asked Avast again about the addons and about Avasts protection against malware like cryptojacking and this is their reply: The addon only allows you to view the rating of websites and also rate websites, It is not about security as such, and yes you are protected when you use these browsers (IE and Edge).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message
I use Edge, and it tells me when sites are trying to cryptojack me.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 21, 2021 Views 608 Applies to: