Command Prompt randomly opens and closes within seconds

Hey guys, i have bought this new acer laptop only 3 days ago, the computer runs on windows 10, not upgraded, my question is that every now and then cmd.exe runs, and there is a black screen and then it turns off within a couple of seconds, i was wandering what could be causing this to happen as this is a new laptop, i was looking for what could cause this to happen and what i can do to stop it from happening....

Thanks and any help would be appreciated

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Ajay,

This can have many causes, from a known issue with Microsoft Office, to malware, to your WiFI configuring . . .

Is there any way you could capture a screenshotone of these Command Prompt windows when they popup, and psot that screenshot here, in order to provide you with a solution . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately the pc is quite new and this has happened maybe three times so I'm not sure what is says. In the beginning it stays open for about 3 seconds and it says nothing on it, then it closes by itself. If it helps I looked at event viewer and it says windows downloaded an update around the time of this happening, hope this info helps

Thanks for such a quick reply 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ajay, yes a Windows update would cause this to happen, as it would restart drivers and processes from Command after the update is applied . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you think that, this is what is causing this cmd pop-up, and if so why has it happened multiple times, maybe because of new updates? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ajay, Windows is constantly updating - how often do you see this Command window . . .

Though I really would need to see a screenshot of the Command Prompt window - it is not what is in the black area of Command Prompt that is important - it is what is on the title bar of the Command window . . .

Power to the Developer!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, thanks for the reply, the title of the command prompt was called 'cmd.exe' I definitely remember that

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ajay, if that was all that was on the title, then it is caused by Windows Update, you have nothing to worry about . . .

On new systems it takes a long time to catch up with all the updates for Windows 10, manufacturers install Windows 10 from an old company image - sometimes they are 2 years out of date . . .

Power to the Developer!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reassurance, could you please give me a title that could mean malware, so I know what to look out for

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

<Merged>

Hey guys, I have asked this question one time already yesterday and got a helpful reply, the thing is, sometimes when i log on there would be two command prompt opened, and would close almost instantly, yesterday i was reassured it was due to a windows update, but then i got it again a few hours later but there was no update, Since this is a new laptop i decided to clean install windows 10 from a USB, which i did successfully, then today, i went on my laptop again, and the same thing happened again, which makes me think its not malware/virus since surely that would have been eradicated with the full installation of windows 10, the title of the command prompt was "cmd.exe" and though i couldnt see what was inside the message, i did see the words "onedrive" and it looked like a path to a file, if im not mistaken, but im not 100 percent sure. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, mabye malware or a normal process? and how can i stop it from happening again,

It is not very bothering, its just that normally i get very paranoid from things like this due to my anxiety,

Thanks for all your help in advance

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Seeing as you said onedrive.
How about creating a local admin test account so NOT connected to your Microsoft account and see if it happens.
If it doesn't them my guess is onedrive is syncing and that is the window you are seeing.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/402692...

Another solution is right click your task bar and select task manager.
Go to startup tab and
Click each program individually and disable them.
Reboot and log back in and see if the problem persists.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 25, 2023 Views 16,604 Applies to: