Changing computer name screw up my automatic login

Previously, I achieved automatic-login by going to Settings > Sign-in options > Require sign-in > Never and netplwiz > untick Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.

However, after I changed my computer name by going to Control Panel > System and Security > System > Change Settings > Change. I am unable to login automatically again. When Windows bootup, it shows me this error message:

Afterwards, it shows me 2 options to login, this has never happened before:

I am now confused with the complexity of Windows settings, I just want my automatic login back.

Question Info

Last updated September 18, 2019 Views 5,225 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Hendra,

I realize that you are unable to login to PC automatically after changing the computer. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer the question to get more clarity on this issue:

• Are you logging in to the Local account or the Microsoft account?

If you are not able to login to using the Microsoft account then ensure that you are typing the password correctly. Make sure that Caps Lock is turned off, and that your email address is spelled correctly to try again.

Article for reference:

When you can't sign in to your Microsoft account: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-live/sign-in-cant

Keep us informed to help you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am currently logging in with Microsoft account *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Windows also has On-Screen Keyboard (OSK), an Ease of Access tool. You can use OSK instead of relying on the physical keyboard to check if you are able to get to the desktop screen.

To open the OSK from the sign-in screen, select the Ease of Access button in the lower-right corner of the sign-in screen, and then select On-Screen Keyboard.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sorry but I don't know what On-Screen Keyboard has to do with me being unable to automatically login to my desktop.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

If you are unable to login to the desktop screen by using the normal and physical keyboard then you can use the on-screen keyboard to login to the desktop screen.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

If you are unable to login to the desktop screen by using the normal and physical keyboard then you can use the on-screen keyboard to login to the desktop screen.

But my keyboard's fine and I didn't state that I am having difficulty logging in to my PC, it's just that I believe my PC is encountering bugs that made it unable to auto sign-in to my account.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your time.

I would suggest you check your PC in Safe Mode referring to the link mentioned below:

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

If issue does not appear in safe mode, there could be possibility of some background programs conflicting with the smooth running of the laptop. To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start the laptop by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section ‘How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting’.

Hope this information helps.

Please get back to us with an update on the issue, we will be happy to help.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the exact same issue.  I will likely be able to find a solution on my own but it seems as though the support on the website is confused about what the actual problem is.

The problem is that there are two logins after a computer name change when there should only be ONE.  Notice in the OP's screenshots the one personalized login and the new one with the same name that seems to be generated if the personal name of the computer was changed from the defacto (or otherwise) name assigned upon Windows 10 installation.

I'm constantly disappointed by the reading comprehension capabilities of modern technical support.

Questions are - 

Why does changing the name of the computer in "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings" cause an additional userID generation that only seems to exist on the home screen?

Why does this new username bear the same ID and settings as the original and prevent automatic login if it was previously set up?  It doesn't even use the same password but it does seem to have its own password.  What it may be I had hoped the brilliant minds here would be able to tell me how to find it so I can destroy it.

How does one destroy or otherwise integrate the newly generated but not apparently entirely separate userID?

These are the questions the OP and I would like answered.

Ah, this problem is unique to you and no one seems to be able to find out what it is? Sounds like a personal problem.

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I figured it out looking through some older threads with similar problems.

Go into your netplwiz again and enable "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."

Don't change anything else and hit OK

The computer will prompt you to sign out and sign back in to enable the settings to the User Account, go ahead.

Voila, your second login is now gone and you can again disable the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." setting.

Sorry it was so simple that the online techs couldn't figure it out.  From what I saw from the thread I found the solution in it was discovered by a user with our same problem.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/new-account-popped-up-after-changing-the-pc-name/5fbe7500-8da2-4be9-98c6-22eb07e60f6d

Ah, this problem is unique to you and no one seems to be able to find out what it is? Sounds like a personal problem.

78 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hendra, Vain,

Just out of interest, did this fake account also appear in the list of accounts available when booting into Safe mode or did you not try that?

By the way, ridiculous responses by Microsoft franchisees are not necessarily at all related to their reading comprehension capabilities. 

• The pattern that has emerged over the years indicates that they are untrained database operators with no Windows skills of their own. 
  • They paste questions into their database and post whatever comes out of it. 
  • It is also possible that some of them are in fact Microsoft AI bots out on a clandestine training exercise.
  • Many of us have been complaining about them for years but nothing is ever done about the problem. 

Denis

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.