Cant log in to Windows 10 as local user

I have created a local standard (non-Administrator) User account for children to use; with no associated email address or Microsoft account.  The account appears in the "Family and Friends" part of the User Accounts control panel app, and appears as a log in option on the welcome screen. 

When I try to log in the local account, it "signs out" within seconds and reverts to the welcome screen.  I have tried it with and without password, and tried deleting it and re-establishing it.  

Windows 10 is freshly installed and having no problems with the Administrator user account which has an associated Microsoft account.  

Any ideas?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Method 1: System file check is a utility built into the Operating System that will check for system file corruption. The sfc /scannow command (System File Check) scans the integrity of all protected operating system files and replaces incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions where possible.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows 8.

1. Press Windows key and X at the same time.
  2. Choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the context menu.
  3. In the command prompt, type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
  4. Exit command prompt

For more information refer to this link:

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

Method 2: Create a local user account in Windows 10 and check if It helps

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for responding.  I will try SFC but this seems unlikely as Win10 is newly installed and the local user account was only created since the install.  It did not exist under Win 8.  As per my question I have already created a local user account by method 2.  To restate the problem, Win10 will not allow me to log in to that account. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issues. I've created several local accounts with the same result. This isn't an isolated problem. I have seen the exact issue mentioned in on-line forums.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

You may download the Windows 10 ISO and create a Media Creation tool and then perform Startup Repair.

Refer to the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

(Refer to the section "Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool " in the above article for creating the tool).

Once you have the installation media, follow the steps: 

1. Start your computer from the installation media.      Insert the disk or USB stick and restart your computer. If you see a      message asking you to “Press any key to boot from DVD,” do so. If you      don’t see the message, you might need to change the boot order in your      computer's BIOS settings so that it first starts from the disk or      USB. When you see the 'Install Windows' page, tap or click 'Repair your      computer' link to start the Windows Recovery Environment.
  2. In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an      option screen, click 'Troubleshoot'.
  3. Click, ‘Advanced Options’ and then click on 'Startup      Settings' and select ‘Restart’.
  4. After this complete the repair and see if you are able      to boot in to your computer.

Refer the link for reference:                                                         

Change startup settings in Windows 10 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab02

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will

be happy to help you.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 19, 2023 Views 3,241 Applies to: