Can't Create a login PIN after upgrading to Windows 10 pro

I recently upgraded my OS from Windows 8.1 professional to version 10 pro. I had reserved my v10 copy months ago but decided to upgrade a couple days after the official release using the Media Creation Tool since I hadn't received it on my laptop yet. After upgrading I logged in to my Microsoft Live account to activate Cortana. I then decided I wanted to login using a PIN rather than having to key-in my full password every time.

The problem is that I cannot create a PIN at all, period. Every time I go into "Sign-in options" under settings, and whether I am using my Microsoft Live login account or a local account, I am prompted to reenter my password. After reentering my password I get a popup titled "Set up a PIN" [see attached image]. Just below a brief description it says, "Just a moment", with a small spinning load circle next to it. And that is where it sits indefinitely. While the "OK" button at the bottom of the popup is clickable, it does absolutely nothing. Not clicking "OK" does nothing either. I have literally let it sit there loading all night and it never actually loads anything beyond this popup and the "Just a moment" load screen. The only option is to cancel.

I have rebooted the computer many times, tried different accounts, changed my full password, tried the official microsoftaccounts.diagcab and WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab tools for help, but to no avail. I have even tried reinstalling Windows 10, but this problem persists; I cannot create a PIN to use for my login.

Any others out there with this problem on the newly upgraded Windows 10? Windows 8.x solutions do not work. Any updates or ways to fix this?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have the exact same problem, but the upgrade was from Win7 instead. I get the "Wait a moment..." dialog indefinitely, and all I can do is abort.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Any solution ever show up? Here it is 6 months later (2016-01-24) and I've been having the same problem for a couple of days.

Google and Bing searches not coming up with much... This page being about halfway down the page of Bing results and this page being the only relevant link I've found.

To make matters worse, I don't even want a PIN. Why the heck should I trade my 15 character, easily memorable, easily type-able, unguessable password for a 4 digit PIN?
What I want is to use the fingerprint reader on my laptop. For some bizarre reason, to setup the fingerprint reader, Windows 10 requires me to setup a PIN.

Anyone care to explain the rationale behind that?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No solution even after four MS techs have remotely tried and two reinstalls.  The last suggestion was wipe out everything and start with a clean disk; hardly reasonable I think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also somehow lost the convenience of logging on my Windows 10 device with a four-digit pin. I tried to perform the illustrated advice: > settings > sign- in options > convert to PIN, etc. . Afterwards, I discover in red print; "Sorry, there seems to be a problem. Please try again later." Is there a solution, and if so what might that be? As always, I appreciate both your attention and assistance.

Respectfully,

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same exact issue but only on ONE of the 3THREE PCs in my Home Network.  It was the first PC I used with the free upgrade and the PIN has NEVER worked.  I have  "tried again later" many times and have reinstalled Windows 10 Pro four times on the ONE PC with the PIN issue because it had other issues... like not letting me change UPDATE settings to the recommended setting because "another organization" had control over those settings.  (not the exact wording and not the only setting with the same problem)

So I gave up trying until upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 Home Premium. the day before the free offer was about to expire.   Maybe it's an issue with only WIndows 10 PRO which makes no sense to me.  I thought that the higher level editions wouldn't have so many issues.   I only had to install Windows 10 ONCE on the other two PCs and they are HOME editions.  

Makes no sense to me.  And I'm not surprised that after many months of searching online and giving up, there's STILL no explanation as to what is causing the issue.

Do you know how much TIME I have wasted typing 15 keys instead of 4 for so many months?  Like a few minutes probably.  I can't get those minutes back... ever.  Knowing that it could cost me even a couple MORE minutes until the issue is resolved is even worse than infuriating!  (I'm just joking)  

So I'll continue to not be able to use a PIN or understand why or how to fix it.  Booyah!

Good luck on your end.

DWS 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That has been tried repeatedly and is of no help whatsoever.  As mentioned above, I have the problem on one of three windows 10 machines but they are all the same build.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a similar issue. I have a PIN set up on one computer but cannot set it up on my other computer.

Both computers have Windows 10 Home but one is 32 bit while the other is 64 bit.

The 64 bit set up has the working PIN but the 32 bit set up just hangs when you try to create a PIN.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 22, 2021 Views 3,998 Applies to: