Another user on this device uses this Microsoft account, so you can't add it here

Well ,

I have problem linking my Windows Live account with my Domain account.

I receive an error in Windows 10 "Another user on this device uses this Microsoft account, so you can't add it here"

I removed my Windows Account from PC and from OneDrive.

I can't link it to any domain account, so maybe some other settings should be removed.

Any ideas ?

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2019 Views 22,474 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I've found and deleted that reg key but it just didn't work for me even after I restarted my laptop. I still can not switch to my Microsoft account. Should I delete my Microsoft account and create  a new one?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

go to the start and click profile button. Log in into the right account. make sure you are not signed in as an administrator.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Martin,

I had the same problem, the origin was a locaI account linked with my Microsoft Live account, when I tried to link the same Microsoft account to my domain account Windows showed me the same error. I tried to delink the Microsoft account of my local account but didn't work, deleting the local account didn't work either.

I thought that the problem was in the registry and I found this key:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\StoredIdentities\*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

where *** Email address is removed for privacy *** is, obviously, my Microsoft account. Note than probably the user SID (S-1-5-18)  will be different in your PC.

Just deleting this key I was able to link my Microsoft Live account with my Domain account. Do it at your own risk and only if you know what are you doing. If you finally decide to delete it you should make a backup of the key ;)

I searched all the folders named 'StoreIdentities' under HKEY_USERS but I did not find any key that matched an email address.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I`ve tried many suggestions from Internet and from here, since there was not much information found when searching about it. After I reset my computer, I couldn't log in my Microsoft Account anymore, since an "old" account was still registered. Try to rename registers keys blocked  to sign both accounts - even Administrator account.

After some trials of fixing it, I`ve encountered another problem: create a new use account by cmd. Because they just didn`t show up anywhere to have access and transfer data. Well, after some recovers, reset and even reinstalled Win 10 again, I still couldn`t access by Microsoft Account with the same message "Another user on this device uses this MA, so you can`t add it here"

Then, I've remembered about WINDOWS CREDENTIALS, since Win 10 Home doesn't allow to install / go through User & Group Policy. After the simple steps below, instantly the new account I have created showed up on Users Accounts / Control Panel. And Microsoft Account was accepted, automatically changed the name of the account first for the email, then for the Microsoft Account (you can edit later) 

JUST GO TO CONTROL PANEL

CHANGE VIEW BY CATEGORY FOR SMALL OR LARGE ICONS

SELECT CREDENTIAL MANAGER

SELECT WINDOWS CREDENTIALS

REMOVE EVERYTHING

SELECT WEB CREDENTIALS

REMOVE IF THERE`S SOMETHING (JUST IN CASE OF VIRUS OR HACKING)

The only good thing about all of this was not losing any personal files. I hope it could help somebody before screw the system and has to reinstall everything again.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Martin,

I had the same problem, the origin was a locaI account linked with my Microsoft Live account, when I tried to link the same Microsoft account to my domain account Windows showed me the same error. I tried to delink the Microsoft account of my local account but didn't work, deleting the local account didn't work either.

I thought that the problem was in the registry and I found this key:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\StoredIdentities\*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

where *** Email address is removed for privacy *** is, obviously, my Microsoft account. Note than probably the user SID (S-1-5-18)  will be different in your PC.

Just deleting this key I was able to link my Microsoft Live account with my Domain account. Do it at your own risk and only if you know what are you doing. If you finally decide to delete it you should make a backup of the key ;)

This very unsafe and should never be tried unless your pretty tech savvy

my problem was the same but my fix was 100 times faster and a lot more safe for all levels of computer users

1.  In windows 10 Right Click start icon or windows icon as most call it and click Control Panel

2. Click User Accounts

3. Click Remove User Accounts

4. If your Local account is there it is possible that next to it will be your Microsoft account. even though your computer says your not logged in. just delete that Microsoft account and go back to trying to log back in.

This happened after I had one hard drive that I installed windows 10 on and logged into my Microsoft account to see if it would activate my windows witch it did .I just didn't wanna wipe my bigger hard drive and then find out that windows wouldn't activate after that was all cleared up I swapped in my bigger hard drive installed a clean windows 10 instillation and ya know updates and reinstalling software and updates the whole 9 yards when I tried to log in to my Microsoft account and brick wall wouldn't let me then I called Microsoft of course there to stupid to help or maybe if I pay they could try **** that so I just searched just what the error said and landed here was gonna fix registry but I forgot where it was so I did exactly what I said above and found my account in the control panel as another account even thought it was from my old hard drive weird but deleted it and logged in and bam back to normal. Hope this helps and stops people from taking the last resort approach and **** with the registry. your mind is not a computer you have no clue what you can **** up in there just by altering the wrong code, by adding or deleting. I destroy computers for a living sometimes just for fun to try and fix them. I broke this very computer I'm using in less than 30  minutes from the moment I bought it. fixed it with new parts and a news OS.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Well ,

I have problem linking my Windows Live account with my Domain account.

I receive an error in Windows 10 "Another user on this device uses this Microsoft account, so you can't add it here"

I removed my Windows Account from PC and from OneDrive.

I can't link it to any domain account, so maybe some other settings should be removed.

Any ideas ?

Can't add existing profile deleted it.did not fix the problem.naw unable to play at all unless I create a new one ahhhhhhhhhhh add a find your profile for dummies  ?only my main profile did a bit of glitch when I tried to sign in  but not the other I checked that 3 times only my  profile says another user. .......................ahhhhhhhhhhh fix it please it's definitely a problem on your end

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

There are several possible reasons why you are experiencing this with your computer. One could be a change in the settings or a corrupted program. For us to isolate this, we would like to know if you have tried the steps provided from the previous replies? If you haven't tried them yet- we recommend following them first.

If the suggestion above doesn't work, feel free to post back so we can further troubleshoot.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this same issue. None of the suggested fixes worked for me. I eventually found my own solution. Right click on Start and select Run, then type netplwiz and click OK. Select the Advanced tab, then click the Advanced button. This will open lusrmgr. In here, I found several old entries of various MS accounts for myself and my family. After deleting them (I'm sure I only had to delete my own, but I deleted all of the accounts that were MS accounts), I was able to successfully add my MS account to my local Windows login.

24 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Other methods didn't work for me. I removed other account using same email address from User Accounts but that leaves me with this error. So I tried removing account from Local Users and Groups inside Computer Management and it worked.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.