Administrator Permissions in Windows 10

I have to say right now that my patience has just about worn out.  I am tired of this problem, and am quite angry that some company decides that I cannot control my computer.

I AM THE ONLY ONE ON THIS COMPUTER.  I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR - and I'm sick of Windows trying to control what I do and do not do in regard to the running of it.

I cannot delete some folders; I cannot get in to some folders; I cannot download most of the time; I can't edit some documents, documents which ARE MINE!

I have given myself administrative rights.  So what, it just changes right back, as do my Word 13 settings.  I'm up to my eyebrows on this one.

This has got to stop. Now.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, I truly do not, but this has just got to change.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

There is a difference between a user administrator account and windows system administrator, which sounds like where your problem may be coming from. The system administrator is there to protect your PC from unauthorised changed. Some things may have got mixed up during the upgrade.

Can you describe how you are trying to change the privileges and on which folders. Also what folders you are trying to delete or which folders they are in.

93 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I cannot delete some folders; I cannot get in to some folders; I cannot download most of the time; I can't edit some documents, documents which ARE MINE!

You need to be very specific - remember we can't see your computer.

What folders can't you delete?

What folders cannot you access?

What do you mean by "cannot download most of the time"? What are you trying to download from where to where? What happens when you try?

What documents can't you edit? What happens when you try?

78 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had this problem since Windows 7.  It's random. I'll delete a program, go into program files to delete the folder, and it won't let me.

I begin a novel. Save it, go in to edit, and it won't let me. 

I go into Word to personalize, it won't let me.

But the part that really gets my goat is when I try to download a program and it says I don't have permission. Whose permission? God's? Because that's the only entity I think should have a say on what I download or do. (This of coarse does not include illegal downloads. I'm talking about a program I want, say an audio program, or a screen saver, whatever.)

I'm the only one on here. Who is the Administrator? Me.  So what the h*** is going on here?  I don't have time for this.

It's frustrating, it's enraging and it's, in my opinion, ridiculous.

But, thank you so much for answering and trying to help. I'm upset with a program, not a person.

1013 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Let's say I decide that I don't want a program anymore, say a anti-spyware program.  I do an uninstall, but often folders are left behind.  Most of the time, I'm told that I don't have permission to delete those folders.

And then let's say that I want to download a screen saver, for instance.  When attempting to download, I'm told that I do not have permission.  There have been other instances, so numerous that it's difficult to remember specifics because they are so random.

Now, let's say that I want to move files from one hard drive to another: .doc files. My files.  I'm often told that I do not have permission.

Okay, I'm working on my novel.  I've finished writing for the day and save it.  The next day, I do not have permission to edit this file.

It's all over the place.  Bottom line, I am disgusted that I am told what I can and cannot do on my own computer of which I am the only operator.  No one has the right to tell me what I can and cannot do.  I don't go out looking for illegal sites; I don't try to download illegal content; I'm simply an author and an artist who tries to get work done as simply and efficiently as I can.

These issues eat up my time, which is sometimes billed. So I end up trying to work for ten billable hours but can only bill, say six.  It's infuriating and makes me look bad when I fall behind on the deadline.

72 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK let's deal with these one by one.

I've had this problem since Windows 7. 

That would say to me there's something very wrong with your setup. Upgrading to a newer version of Windows won't fix that.

I'll delete a program, go into program files to delete the folder, and it won't let me.

Because you shouldn't be doing that. When you uninstall a program, it should remove those folders automatically. I presume you are uninstalling programs via Control Panel>Programs and Features?

I begin a novel. Save it, go in to edit, and it won't let me. 

So precisely what happens when you try? Where are you saving this document to?

I go into Word to personalize, it won't let me.

What do you mean by that? What version of Word?

When you say you can't "download" a program, do you mean the download of the installer file from the internet, or the actual install of the program?

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope, new computer.

I thought I made that clear. I go in and do an uninstall - yes, through Control Panel. It leaves things behind, which often I cannot delete.

I save it to the drive where I save all of my writings.  It says that I do not have permission to edit this document. Everything is, I do not have permission.  Makes me want to pull my hair out.  I'm using Word 13, but it happened in Word 10 as well.

I cannot download from the internet. It can be anything from Win Zip to something frivolous like a wallpaper.

I know that many, many people have this problem.  There are times when my husband will come stomping into the kitchen because the blank blank windows says he doesn't have permission to do a simple blank blank task.  I don't know anyone who doesn't have this problem.

This needs to be rectified. People should have a choice.

35 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are saving these files into the standard user folders, eg users\documents, users\pictures, users\downloads etc. Open File Explorer and go to those folders (not in quick access but the actual folders) pick one, and try to create a new file or folder in that folder. If you can't right click on the folder and select properties and then select the security tab. Select your name/user and all the permissions should be set to allow. If not that may be the route of the problem. Select edit and see if you can add any missing permissions. (for that folder)

These permissions should be inherited from your users folder so you could check that too. This folder can be found in C:\Windows\Users and because of this it will affect all your personal folders including downloads, which would explain why you can't download a file.

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue.. I logged off my windows account and selected local account.

Then signed out of the local account then found the admin account.

I lowered the UAC (user account control). Now I can access everything as normal.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's the whole problem. I'm working in the admin account. It's the only account I have.

Thank you, though.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you. At least this takes care of one thing.  But still have the universal permissions issue.

Many thanks, though.  This helps in this area.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2024 Views 57,194 Applies to: