Windows update: W10, C:\Program files\rempl\remsh.exe

I have a very serious concern.

Microsoft has officially responded that this is part of a bundled update to improve updates, and therefore should be accepted. I've seen replies from Microsoft staff speaking for Microsoft, so its official.

"If from any other source," the advise says, "it's malicious malware and should be very carefully dealt with or it can allow hackers access to data, your PC, and systems. But if it comes from Microsoft that's okay."

That's the precursor to my question. This is my question:

Why is ADWARE from any other supplier NOT ADWARE from Microsoft when it performs the same invasive function, has the same access to your PC, your data, your systems, and is not required for update functions but little more than invasive data mining from Microsoft to see what their customers are up to? It isn't your business any more than a guy who sells a car should be concerned where it's driven and who drives it.

On this basis Microsoft is asking users to accept the same invasive control as a hacker and suggesting its okay because it's Microsoft. This is effectively asking me, a user, to accept Microsoft's right (which you don't have) to invade my PC (which you don't have) to access it for your own purposes (which I am not granting). ADWARE is ADWARE. Your program is BLOCKED.

This is not the first time Microsoft has pulled this stunt. Pack it.

Any other people would like to throw their hat into the ring on this next invasive policy bundled in a Windows 10 update file, feel free.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Here's my hat;

First, I agree with pretty much everything that you said in your original post.

Ever since the Windows operating system went from being a "program" to being a "service," stuff like this has become a daily occurrence. "Customer Experience Improvement Program," "Telemetry," "Compatibility Checker," and now this mysterious "remsh.exe," that wakes my sleeping computers every day at 10:00am and then performs a series of unknown processes, some of which apparently send mountains of data to some Microsoft server somewhere, are just recent examples.

To add insult, the process doesn't even graciously return the PC to sleep, but rather when I walked into my home office yesterday around noon, I found two of my computers, fans churning, running full on.

Idiotically, when this program was fist reported on various MICROSOFT SPONSORED AND SUPPORTED technical assistance forums, some "official" Microsoft respondents labeled it "Malware" and a "Virus." It seems that wherever in the bowels of MS this bit of Devil spawn originated, even the people charged with trying to help the poor users of their product weren't told about it.

Aside form the egregious behavior of just blatantly waking your computer whenever it wants to and then mining and sending your data off to PartsUnknown, it more broadly speaks to the disregard in which we, the customers, are held by "them," the Corporation. Changing the operating state of YOUR computer at will, mining and storing your data at will, and modifying the operating system  without notice and certainly without your permission is the new normal.

Once Windows became a "service" ostensibly so it would be more flexible, usable, and repairable, you basically signed away every last shred of privacy and control of your machine and your data. Any one of my computers "phones home" dozens of times a session and with gigabit internet speeds, can send anything anywhere in microseconds.

Long gone are the days when everything that ran on your machine was something YOU purposefully and with forethought chose to install, and allowed to run. Now, obscure commands, buried in the Registry, hidden in the Task Manager, or linked to sign-in, boot, or start of another program, gleefully chew up CPU cycles, clog your network, and whisk your privacy off to the cloud. Not occasionally, but rather, constantly; all the time your computer is on, and now, even when you thought you put it into sleep or hibernate until you got back.

I don't suggest you run a packet sniffer like Wireshark during your typical computer sessions, as the results will cause your paranoia alarms to overload. The amount of spurious traffic on the WAN that is constantly buzzing in the background, targeting servers world-wide is staggering. You could develop a full time hobby trying to resolve the I.P. addresses of just one-day's traffic.

You just have to face the fact that all illusions of data privacy that you may wish you had are completely gone. MS is but one small player in the wholesale erasure of your rights to your own data. In Europe, where they have much stricter computer privacy laws, corporations just bury permission to access, store, and sell your data deeper in the verbiage of the "User Agreement," and violate you anyway. Here, in the good ole' USA, Equifax, Home Depot, Target, etc. dump all your critical "personally identifying data" all over the street, and my State government sees fit to make a .pdf of the deed to my house, complete with my signature, available in just a few clicks of the mouse.

Wi-Fi's WPA2 standard had been hacked to death by "Krack," iOS and Android are a Swiss cheese of security, ( I particularly like the whole concept of them asking for "Permissions" when you install or update an App as to give you the illusion that you have SOME control over what your phone or tablet spews out to the ether about you) and one of the biggest Anti-Virus makers in the world is basically a branch of the Russian Intelligence Service.

So, that's my hat. Remsh.exe is a minuscule grain of pepper in a mountain of fly turds. I'm just pissed that it turns my computer on unexpectedly. It should at least have the decency to sell me down the river on MY schedule, not theirs.

I know I have one, now where did I put it?

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Discussion Info

Last updated April 24, 2021 Views 2,148 Applies to: