Windows 10 Logon Password - The Handle is Invalid

Problem with Windows 10 logon password. Repeated tried with correct windows 10 logon password, but error message on "The Handle is Invalid". Also noted e-mail ID on the Windows 10 logon page.

Cannot use PC at all with this problem !!

Hi Lee, 

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

• Do you have any other user account to log in to the computer? 

I suggest you to enable the built in administrator account and try to create a new user account and transfer all the user profile data of the old account.

Follow the below steps:

• Press and hold on the Shift Key from the Windows sign in screen and click on Restart.

• Follow the path Troubleshoot> Advanced Options > Start Up settings.

• Click on Restart.

• Choose Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

• At the command prompt, type net user administrator /active:yes, and then press Enter.

• Type net user administrator <Password>, and then press Enter.

Note: In this command, <Password> represents the actual password that you want to set for the administrator account. 

• Type exit, and then press Enter.

• Log off the current user account. 

Note: type net user administrator /active:yes, to disable the Built-in Administrator after adding the Microsoft account.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you have any further query on Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Thanks & regards,

Abdul Malik

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Lee, 

I suggest you to enable the built in administrator account and try to create a new user account and transfer all the user profile data of the old account.

Follow the below steps:

• Press and hold on the Shift Key from the Windows sign in screen and click on Restart.

• Click on Restart.

• At the command prompt, type net user administrator /active:yes, and then press Enter.

Note: In this command, <Password> represents the actual password that you want to set for the administrator account. 

Note: type net user administrator /active:yes, to disable the Built-in Administrator after adding the Microsoft account.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you have any further query on Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Please explain what one should do if they are unable to access or get to the logon screen?  Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lee, 

Follow the below steps:

• Click on Restart.

Hope it helps.

Please explain what one should do if they are unable to access or get to the logon screen?  Thank you
I'm getting a screen that shows "Password/Unlock Key"  I need help to get pass this point.  I did not have a problem until  the update for  Windows 10 was added recently, and now my password does not work, I've been a loyal ms fan for many yrs, but this is not good, and this is the 2nd computer that updates have caused problems for me,  I need help right away, Help 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lee, 

Follow the below steps:

• Click on Restart.

Hope it helps.

Did not help. Desktop login is unstable and generates this error more often than a successful login. Started after non-specific Windows 10 BSOD automatic restart. Nothing relevant in Event Logs, nor Action Center. Windows Update Insider Preview Slow Ring up to date. Device Manager all devices functioning normally, all drivers current.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 11, 2023 Views 5,723 Applies to: