Windows 10 can't connect to Microsoft family

I have 2 Windows 10 computers, both of which were upgraded from Windows 7. On each of them I converted my local account to my Microsoft account, and then I added my kids to set up screen time limitations, etc. They both worked fine at first, and one of the two still works fine now. But the other one stopped reporting time used, and the screen time and settings can no longer be configured from the Microsoft family website.

Here is the error I am seeing on the computer:

"We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date."

So I checked the network settings, reset the cable modem and router, etc. But as I said, one computer continues to work fine, while this one stopped connecting. Then I ran the Microsoft Account Troubleshooter (microsoftaccounts.diagcab) and it said it fixed some things, but the problem persists even after a reboot.

Running the troubleshooter again, it is still showing the following:

"The following settings have sync turned off: Installed Apps"

"No rootcauses found and created logs"

I have checked, and I believe I have all sync settings turned on for my account, however none of the settings mentions syncing apps. What am I missing and what could have changed? This computer worked fine initially.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Question Info

Last updated September 20, 2019 Views 13,105 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Ricky,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft community. I will be glad to assist you.

I suggest you to convert that particular account which has problem from Microsoft Account into Local Account and check for the settings.

If still the issue persists then,

I recommend you to convert Microsoft Account into Standard Account.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I had already tried reverting to a local account and then switching back to a Microsoft account, but had not tried checking any settings while using the local account. Unfortunately, I just tried that again, and there are no sync settings available to a local account:

The original error still remains:

And of course Windows wants me to switch back to a Microsoft account:

Running the Microsoft account troubleshooter with the local account, of course, simply tells me that a Microsoft account is required. So then I crossed my fingers and converted my account back to a Microsoft account (the same one I am using on the other computer that works fine), and the problem still persists. Everything else about the Internet connection seems fine, but it won't update the Microsoft family account settings.

48 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This continues to be a problem. One computer connects and updates the Microsoft Family settings fine, while the other one gets the error shown above. I haven't been able to find any network or firewall settings that are different between the two. They were both upgraded from Windows 7.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what I could look at to figure this out?

Sorry this didn't help.

There doesn't appear to be any answer to this problem. Today I attempted to "Reset this PC", which uninstalled all non-Microsoft applications and supposedly reset everything. However, after finishing that process, even without reinstalling any of the applications, the problem still persists.

Is there anything else I can try, short of blowing away the hard drive and installing it fresh?

Sorry this didn't help.

Apparently this was a corruption and there was no solution that would fix it. I ended up blowing the whole thing away and installing a fresh copy of Windows 10, and now it is working.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok boys and girls. The solution is so simple you're gonna poop.

YOU must be signed in to a Microsoft account on the machine in order to set up other people.

So if you switched to a local profile, it will not connect to Microsoft Family.

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried it... Unfortunately, that didn't help in my case. As I stated a couple of times, everything was working on one machine, but the other computer showed the error. So it's not as if I didn't know how to get it working. I definitely was logged into my Microsoft account, and I could set up the family members just fine. But I would still get the error telling me that "We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date." 

When I first had it working, the screen time quotas I set worked well. But then when the error showed up, I could no longer make changes to the times, and no website history or time used was being reported on the Microsoft family site. I even tried doing a "Reset this PC", and it let me set the accounts back up, but it still couldn't retrieve the settings from Microsoft, which then allowed unlimited time. The only thing that worked was to completely reinstall Windows 10.

It was clearly some corrupted file or setting, which was not reset and couldn't be fixed through any of the methods I tried. The completely fresh install is now working perfectly.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have never been able to get this to work in the two months I have been using Windows 10. It always says we cannot connect to Microsoft family right now. I've also had the start button quit working on one or two of my user accounts. The only way I have found to fix it is by making a making a Windows 10 Media Creation iso disc and reinstalling Windows 10 from the disc. That will fix the start button, and also the volume button, but it takes around two hours to complete the fix and the problem still comes back in a week or two. Any solutions?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem as you Ricky K. and in addition the computer started to go into which ever account was last logged on automatically at power on and doesn't stop even stop at the choice of users screen even after signing out of the sessions.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

I suggest you to create a Windows 10 installation Disc and perform a repair on the computer. To create a please find the below link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

To know how to create a disc, please follow the below link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-manual-upgrade-installation/8cb20cea-4d1c-4c1e-996c-b248493d10e8?tm=1438499976622

Method 1:

To perform a Repair on the computer, Please follow the below steps:

a. Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 10 from it.

b. In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’,‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

c. Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

d. Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select‘Automatic Repair’ and select the operating system.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, you may perform a check disk and check if that helps.

a. Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 8 from it.

b. In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’,‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

c. Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

d. Click on ‘Advanced options’ and click on command prompt.

e. Run the following command from the command prompt and press enter.

chkdsk /f /r X:( drive letter)

e. Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk the next time that the system restarts.

f. Restart the computer.

Important: When you run the check disk, there are chances of losing data so you can take a backup before running check disk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, I will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

·

Sorry this didn't help.