win 10 "incorrect password. try again"

Creating new post since windows team ignores the old ones.

When i try to login to windows it says: "incorrect password. try again" when my password is correct

This is not a keyboard/language problem (i checked the password with the little view button and its correct. also tried on-screen keyboard)

Its not a microsoft account (so i cant change my password online)

This is not the first time i logged in. (had windows 10 for 2 weeks before this happened)

have rebooted multiple times. I have tried every possible option except reinstalling.

Cannot login to another account. Ive been stuck on the same login screen for 4 days now. I need the files that are on that pc, but the only option that is left is complete formating of the hdd.

why isnt microsoft releasing a patch? the problem has been reported more than 2 months ago. I even remember it being a problem on windows 8.

any actual help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to go through the below answers provided by Preeti Patel and check if it helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-password-incorrect-error/582adf0a-e566-497b-a428-d6b49367116a

For further reference, click on http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-Windows-password-problems

I hope the information helps. If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Aswin,

I have followed all possible steps that are available over internet but still with no solution and as far as Preeti Patal solution is I dont get CMD windows even when I am selecting safe mode with command prompt. All I get is "The password is incorrect. Try again.

This really a nasty problem, I have spend more then 4 hours trying to fix this issue.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

So did this ever get resolved?  I have the exact same problem and have tried all your exact same internet solutions   This problem seems to be rampant and is inexcusable on Microsoft's part.  I can't imagine all the lost income from folks not being able to access their computers.    

Please give an update...thanks!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I solved my problem.  I downloaded a Windows 10 installation disc and booted to it.  I then went to the repair area and reset my pc while keeping all my files.  Upon rebooting it took my original PIN and/or password.  I then went to my account settings and disabled needing a password, while removing the password altogether.  Now I boot straight to the desktop, no problem.  

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Here, I copy text I've already placed, elsewhere:

"Now the problem is happening to me, too.  I was apparently forced to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, on ajn HP laptop.  For a few days, the thing SEEMED to boot.  Today,  now, it FIRST shows a screen with a beach, and when my mouse wheel brings down the other screen, I see my name, "Jim Bell", in large letters, as well as my direct email address in smaller letters below.  A box appears below that, saying "Password".  Problem is, I don't have a password,  I've never had a password.  So, I don't type anything, except hitting the "Enter" key.  "Please enter your sign-in information and try again".  But I have no "sign-in information" to provide.  Thus, I cannot log in.  I cannot use that computer.  The only reason I can access this is that I have a SECOND computer that isn't YET screwed up.  As far as I can tell, I am completely locked out of my computer. 

This is OBVIOUSLY a major problem with Microsoft and Windows 10.  Many other people have the same problem.  When I see other questions which seem to be related to the same problem, I often see the answerer suggesting that people do things, things that I cannot possibly do, in large part because I simply CANNOT log on to my computer.  I cannot EVEN BEGIN to solve the problem, because your brain-dead software DOES NOT ALLOW ME to do so.

Please note:  I did NOT "forget" my password(s).  I NEVER HAD such passwords, period.  It is clear from other questions here that this very serious bug doesn't occur simply because somebody "forgot" their password, but because there is a problem inherent with Windows 10.  It clearly wasn't debugged well.  I was happy with Windows 7.  I could tell that many or most people hated Windows 8.  SO I was smart and never tried Windows 8.  Little did I know that Windows 10 would be the disaster that it has become.

34 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 24, 2020 Views 23,038 Applies to: