Remove crapware and stop win 10 from spying.

Being forced to upgrade to 10 because updates for 7 are discontinued for new chips. Well... Bought "pro" for corporate use... Well there doesn't seem to be a way to actually remove the crap like xbox, cortana, one drive, etc... etc... Remove em in powershell, its only for one user. Next user gets it back. I also dont trust that its not spying since the whole OS seems to be all about data collection. Even when "turned off". 

Guess what I should really be asking is how to convince the C levels to migrate to Linux. Windows 10 is not acceptable for corporate use and individuals should reject this garbage too.

Question Info

Last updated September 8, 2019 Views 3,025 Applies to:
If you don't like it, don't use it, but please stop spreading FUD.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

What part is FUD?

Also, I would love to stop using it but when you have hundreds of machines on it you can't swap overnight, if at all. You get tied in to vendor contracts and even when they are up, conversions are a nightmare. On the home front, DirectX has a near monopoly on gaming.  

27 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

What part is FUD?

Also, I would love to stop using it but when you have hundreds of machines on it you can't swap overnight, if at all. You get tied in to vendor contracts and even when they are up, conversions are a nightmare. On the home front, DirectX has a near monopoly on gaming.  

What real evidence do you have that it's spying on you? Not others saying it but actual evidence?

So far I've seen none, lots of pundits essentially saying what you have but no real evidence that the content of my PC or my keystrokes/mouse moves are being recorded and/or uploaded to MS.

There are a lot of very large businesses using OneDrive and having no problems with it. If you don't want to use it don't but there's no  reason to try and remove it.

The end of updates on Windows 7 is no reason to stop using it as long as you follow basic online safety principles like not clicking unknown links, using string passwords.... 

Choosing to stay with MS because you can't game on other OSes just means you have decided the ability to game is more important to you than your concerns about MS and Windows 10. It's still a choice.

Sorry this didn't help.

The terms of service agreement written by Microsoft that says they're collecting data? The fact that the thing keeps making tons of connection attempts even when you turn off the visible settings? 

Also, there is a good reason to remove things you don't want. They're attack vectors that have to be kept up to date. Windows updates fail all the time and its near impossible to maintain 100% up to date status on a big domain, never mind zero day stuff. Less crud installed is less crud that has to stay up to date to keep the computer safe and less places for a zero day to hit. Do you think all the people that got wannacry were actively using SMB 1.0? A good network admin would have removed the service from everything if it wasn't in use and they wouldn't have been infected. 

39 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This telemetry is critical to knowing how a half billion (already) users' machines are reacting to new Versions, Windows Updates including drivers, etc.  Ironically it may be too little telemetry that is causing version update problems we're seeing, not too much. 

For example I'm trying to find out when you use the special tool to hide a problem Update whether that is picked up by telemetry and added to the information they have about the affected hardware, imprecise Updates, etc.  How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

There are also unintended consequences to turning off this telemetry including an error we're seeing that something is restricted by Group Policy on Home version which has no Group Policy.  This looks like it is brought on by a hack to turn off telemetry and/or overweening anti-virus bloatware that makes registry changes.  MS may take longer to fix this because the telemetry is turned off.

I am a privacy advocate and see no intrusions from using Windows 7 and 10 since their betas.  You'd know how laughable that is if you've ever been in a meeting with MS where they spend a lot of time stressing privacy concerns.  They've even let Google gain some competitive advantage because of MS' more stringent privacy standards. 

----------------------------------
I am a volunteer and not Microsoft.

Over 100,000 helped in forums for 10 years. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-20

Sorry this didn't help.

The terms of service agreement written by Microsoft that says they're collecting data? The fact that the thing keeps making tons of connection attempts even when you turn off the visible settings? 

Also, there is a good reason to remove things you don't want. They're attack vectors that have to be kept up to date. Windows updates fail all the time and its near impossible to maintain 100% up to date status on a big domain, never mind zero day stuff. Less crud installed is less crud that has to stay up to date to keep the computer safe and less places for a zero day to hit. Do you think all the people that got wannacry were actively using SMB 1.0? A good network admin would have removed the service from everything if it wasn't in use and they wouldn't have been infected. 

The people that got hit by wannacry.. did click a link they should not have, opened email they didn't recognize hit a website that wasn't safe,.......

Same as your "attack vectors", if you don't do risky things online, you wont got caught. If code is not loaded it can't do anything. Having the apps on the disk is not itself a risk.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The people that got hit by wannacry.. did click a link they should not have, opened email they didn't recognize hit a website that wasn't safe,.......

Same as your "attack vectors", if you don't do risky things online, you wont got caught. If code is not loaded it can't do anything. Having the apps on the disk is not itself a risk.

The infected people didnt need to click anything.

Malwarebytes:

"research shows this nasty worm was spread via an operation that hunts down vulnerable public facing SMB ports and then uses the alleged NSA-leaked EternalBlue exploit to get on the network and then the (also NSA alleged) DoublePulsar exploit to establish persistence and allow for the installation of the WannaCry Ransomware."

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This telemetry is critical to knowing how a half billion (already) users' machines are reacting to new Versions, Windows Updates including drivers, etc.  Ironically it may be too little telemetry that is causing version update problems we're seeing, not too much. 

For example I'm trying to find out when you use the special tool to hide a problem Update whether that is picked up by telemetry and added to the information they have about the affected hardware, imprecise Updates, etc.  How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

There are also unintended consequences to turning off this telemetry including an error we're seeing that something is restricted by Group Policy on Home version which has not Group Policy.  This looks like it is brought on by a hack to turn off telemetry and/or overweening anti-virus bloatware that makes registry changes.  MS may take longer to fix this because the telemetry is turned off.

I am privacy advocate and see no intrusions from using Windows 7 and 10 since their betas.  You'd know how laughable that is if you've ever been in a meeting with MS where they spend a lot of time stressing privacy concerns. 

Microsoft stressing privacy concerns while building an entire operating system around data collection and marketing. How touching. It has a keylogger for heavens sake. 

Pro version should have the option to shut off all data collection. Also, its not very "professional" to have xbox integration and advertisements on serious work computers.

I guess you aren't familiar with high security work environments but we would likely fire someone for discussing external facing IPs, internal network structure, software we use, hardware we use, etc... Much less upload actual data. Now Microsoft wants to collect all of that data for internal and marketing purposes. How about no. The problem is we can block it all but then they release updates that change where it goes. Its practically a war.

49 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Its practically a war.

It's a war you fight in your own imagination.

I said, war, huh good god,
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing.
Say it again:

War, whoa, lord
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing, listen to me

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Its practically a war.

It's a war you fight in your own imagination.

I said, war, huh good god,
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing.
Say it again:

War, whoa, lord
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing, listen to me

You're why companies get away with such things. Congrats.

44 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.