PC Screen Flashes on and off continuously when enter the guest account.

After I create guest account on my Windows 10 Pro the screen flashes on and off continuously. After I shut down my PC forcibly and start again it goes into Boot manager. Please help to get out of this issue.

Hi,

Let's try these steps and check if it helps.

1. Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent:

To a different Adapter: from integrated graphics to a discrete card or vice versa.

To a different output: from HDMI to DVI, DisplayPort to VGA, or any other combination.

2. Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking or Enable low-resolution video. Advanced boot options, Safe Mode with Networking, or Low Resolution Video

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

-Check Device Manager and look for Display Adapters.

-If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, disable to integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) and restart. (try vice versa if it does not work)

-If you see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.

-Check the PC or display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated driver.

Please update us with the status. We will be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It's a fault in the OS - nothing to do with display drivers. I have multiple users. When I enable the Guest account in the Computer Management, the above issue happens. The only way I have found to get out of it is the use the Windows+L key to return me to the log on screen where I can successfully go back in as another user. No other user has this issue hence it's not a display driver fault.

On entering the Guest screen, as well as the flashing it stated that there was an error in the BitLocker processing (it was encrypting the hard disk as I was working). I have simply created another user "Guest User" in the meantime.

Chris

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem with the flickering screen.  Could you please tell how you create another "guest" account?  When I set up users on Windows 10, it seems to need a Hotmail or Outlook email address.  I just want a "guest" account that others can use the computer without having the email requirements.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I created an acct called guest_acct and it seems to work fine...unlike "guest".

Open your cmd prompt (admin). Type "net user guest_acct /add"    (no quotes) in you cmd prompt. Then type

"net user"    to check that guest_acct is now in your list of accounts.  If so, type "net user guest_acct /active:yes"

to activate the acct.   Restart and try it.

Good luck!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After I create guest account on my Windows 10 Pro the screen flashes on and off continuously. After I shut down my PC forcibly and start again it goes into Boot manager. Please help to get out of this issue.

Some of those few people who have successfully activated the in-built Guest account under Win 10 have identified the explorer.exe crash/reload loop (flashing screen) mentioned in other posts, which makes the account unusable.

Another post says that there is a "Deny log on locally" policy in the "Local Security Policy" console (secpol.msc) which has to be manually removed from there.  What the heck is that all about?

In order to retrieve data stored in the Guest account of the previous version of Windows the fall back position, if you are unable to retrieve the data by any other means, is that you have a thirty day grace period during which you can roll the installation back to the previous version of Windows, having taken care to back up all your data, first.

I activated the in-built Guest account August 01, 2015, by  following the howto-connect.com instructions (net user guest /active:yes from an elevated command prompt (right-click Start/Windows button and select Command Prompt (Admin)).  Guest then appeared in the list of available accounts on the lock screen, although it came with the explorer.exe crash reload loop, thus making it unusable.

I have, in the past couple of days, activated the Guest account on two more Win 10 PCs.  The command line echoed that this had succeeded, and Guest appears, as one of the alternatives, when I click on my account name at the top of the Start Menu, but when I select it, instead of switching to the Guest account which is not password protected, it takes me to the lock screen, where Guest is no longer shown.

Microsoft appear to be suppressing the Guest account, for reasons that I/we do not know.  We should be told.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

here full research of problem. "Screen Flashes on and off continuously" because explorer.exe continuously crashed and restarted. solution - press CTRL+ALT+DEL and logoff form guest and then login to another account

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had this same problem on 3 computers when I activated the Guest account. These are 2 desktops a brand name and a user built machine plus a brand name laptop. All other accounts work fine so it cannot be drivers etc. I believe its a buggy Windows 10. Every Microsoft support engineers is just trying to skirt around the real problem being faced by hundred of users (just try Binging this issue).

Come on Microsoft admit it and give us an update fix.

VinP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with the user....  the guest account for some reason functions differently.  I have two other accounts and they function perfectly.  Login to the guest account I have a flashing screen.  I do have two video drivers and it is for a reason...  the primary is an Intel video on the mother board.  The second is an NVIDIA  card used automatically when I run Lightroom or other how photographic programs on my Laptop.

There seems to be a problem with the OS (WIN 10)...  I can create other accounts and they work fine... but the guest account fails.  When you are logged in as guest...  you can not access any features... the only why to exit is a hard reboot or sign off through the cntr-alt-del function.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I still have this problem in build 10240! (W10 64 bit upgraded from W7)

I have also tried the widely reported fix of disabling services:  (1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support .... (2) Windows Error Report Service, but that doesn't work either.

(http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/372409-why-does-my-desktop-screen-keep-flashing-after-installing-windows-10-cant-open-anything.html)

Surely Microsoft can stop Windows explorer crashing?!

(http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/built-in-guest-account-errors/636d8535-49ec-4312-b03c-5b05cf5827ea)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello!

The concensus of opinion in this forum is that it is impossible to recreate in Win 10 the Guest account of previous versions of Windows.

The workaround is to create a local user account (you may have to Google (or Bing) how to do that), which, by definition, is not a Microsoft Account, and doesn't require an e-mail adddress, or other identity details.  You may also have to Google/Bing how to retrieve any docments in your previous version of Windows Guest account, which disappeared when you upgraded to Win 10.

Name this new local user account Visitor, and create it as a Standard user, not Administrator, and you will have as close as you are going to get to the old Guest account.

Thank you.

i-Panda

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 23, 2020 Views 2,202 Applies to: