Family Safety - Block Minecraft Servers

I have family safety turned on with the feature set for web browsing. I also have games and Apps monitored. He plays minecraft and has been asking to play on servers and has already been out to a few. Some are good and others are not so good. Does anyone know how to block a server from minecraft?

Minecraft appears to show up in the recent apps as Java Runtime (javaw.exe), which seems strange that it is not showing up as Minecraft.exe, which he launches.

However, nowhere in his browsing history do I see that he visited these servers (although I know he has visited them). It seems like it would be nice to know that a program (besides the browser) is out visiting these sites.

Is that possible?

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you are having with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

I would suggest you to refer the below link replied by Trung N Nguyen. And check if it helps.

Note: (Holds good for Windows 10)

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

That doesn't seem to be my issue at all for a couple reasons:

1) I only have one device, so I'm nots seeing the inconsistencies that he is between the devices and so making settings for both devices won't help...as it isn't even possible with my one device.

2) The Game Restrictions has changed, so it seems that you are pointing me to outdated resources. Maybe I'm wrong, but the interface looks much different.

He was having trouble with it not blocking games. I'm not trying to block Minecraft. I am questioning why it shows up as javaw.exe instead of Minecraft.exe...but that isn't a huge issue as I know what it is.

My question is, within Minecraft:

1) Why am I not seeing the websites which the app accesses?

2) How can I go about blocking the web sites which I find objectionable?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, tcjohn78

Minecraft has to launch Java first to boot the game, as the game is coded using Java. It is run in the Java program, which is why it shows up as Java instead of Minecraft.exe

If your child was playing Minecraft Windows 10 edition, then it should have showed as Minecraft on the list.

As for blocking servers, this function doesn't seem possible. I did find this article here, that may help explain the servers a bit more.

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Multiplayer

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Volunteer Moderator | Xbox Ambassador | Win & Xbox Insider

Give back to the community. Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply and for trying to figure this out. That makes sense launches java, I just knew I had seen it as Minecraft before. Some granularization seems very appropriate here or, if many programs made use of java, it is hard to know which is happening here.

As for blocking the servers, at that time I believe things were still being blocked/reported for all browsers/web activity. This new limitation is pretty terrible as so many apps have ways to browse the web (i.e. visit servers), for example this multiplayer. Am I understanding correct?

Unfortunately, the question was not addressed at that time as Rajeshwari_Patil seemed more interested in scoring a point for making a reply than actually addressing my specific question. As I noted, she referred me to outdated material. I will continue to mark this as abuse of the system because these employees are not doing their job.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, tcjohn78

Family safety does collect reports on what your child is doing when they are on the Internet, however it will only enforce blocked sites/allowed sites on Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer. This is because other companies are always updating their browsers, and they do not notify Microsoft when they do. Thus meaning Microsoft is always going to be playing catch up, so they decided not to go ahead with this.

But yes, this will collect and allow you to see all of the sites your child has been doing, and what they have been doing though the Activity report.

I am testing out Family Safety and learning lots about it :), while trying to keep up with the changes they are implementing.

Regards,

Give back to the community. Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Except that I, and many others, have noted that Edge says it has been used, I've watched the kids do it, and it still does not report any sites as visited. It's broken and there seems no fix or care from MS.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, tcjohn78

I just wanted to let you know that I have not forgotten about you, and this thread. I have escalated this up, with a link to this thread.

I will keep you updated, as much as I can in regards to this.

Regards,

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. I'm still not seeing Edge reporting sites :( So I appreciate you continuing to check into this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Minecraft Servers

It still seems like this is unanswered. Since so many apps access the web on their own, it seems like there should be some way to track all traffic.

Apps are once again blocked

I ended up having to remove all three family members and re-add them. Annoying (especially for kids under 13...had to pay again), but this fixed the problems it appears. 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I know this is disgustingly late, but I would like to point out that a Minecraft server is NOT a website, as one would believe. It is a server, where other people connect on to and play on a mutual hub. There is no "browsing" and cannot be categorized as such. The only way to block connections in and out for the Minecraft application would have to be through a router-based tracker. Thus, you can monitor all flow of traffic through and out of the router, and allows you to pinpoint the IP's that the Minecraft servers use. You can block these IP's, effectively blocking the servers. 

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 27, 2024 Views 20,401 Applies to: