Windows Critical Battery Message Error

I've had this computer for over two years. My old OS was Windows 7, my new OS is Windows 10. Now this issue has presisted after upgrading:

My computer opens the critical battery message at the same time that it executes the low battery option. The problem is: I get no warning that my computer battery is low and I get no time to even view the message. If anyone knows why this happens, please tell me.

System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Windows 10 Home

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Method 1: If the issue persist, run the power troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

1. Type troubleshooting in the search box next to Start icon and select the top most search result.
  2. Click on View All from the left side of the screen panel.
  3. Select Power from the options, click on Advanced option and check Apply repairs automatically option.
  4. Follow the on screen instructions.

Method 2: If the issue persist, I suggest you to perform Clean boot by following the steps from the link below and check if the issue is resolved.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

You can open the system configuration window in Windows 10:

Step 1: Using run command.

1. Press Windows Key + R keys on the Keyboard.
  2. Type msconfig.msc and press Enter.

Step 2: Using Cortana.

1. Press Windows icon key on the keyboard and type msconfig.
  2. Select the top most search result.

Follow the steps from 3 under How to perform a clean boot for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 from the link below (The steps for clean boot suggested in the link below for Windows 8/8.1 is applicable for Windows 10 as well):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer: Start the computer in normal mode refer the section, How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting from the link above.

Write back to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problem and checked the health of my battery in Windows10 (same for W7 and W8):

1. Click Start button and type cmd in Search programs and files box

2. Right click on cmd.exe listed at the top of the Start menu and click Run as administrator

3. In the command prompt type cd %userprofile%/Desktop and press Enter

4. Next type powercfg -energy in the command prompt and press Enter

A file will be saved on your desktop called: energy-report.html, check the battery capacity of your last full charge and if that is less than 100% buy a new battery. If your capacity is still 100% you could try a Battery Meter Calibration (www.howtogeek.com/…rate-your-laptops-battery-for... ) although that did not help me, my battery life is 50% dead and I will try to get a new one.....

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Frank,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are worried about the battery high usage in Windows 10. One of the new features in Windows 10 is included in the new Settings app. It's called "Battery saver" and as the name implies, it's a feature to help Windows 10 devices to save battery life by limiting background activity and automatically adjusting different system settings. This is in addition to battery usage reports for you to understand what is draining your battery.

To access the new battery settings, open the Settings app, go to System, and navigate to Battery saver.

Note: Windows 10 features that your device can't handle won't be shown as an option. If you're running the operating system on a desktop computer without a battery, the Battery saver option won't be available. The same is true for other features.

When you arrive at the settings, you'll see two sections: Overview shows you the battery level and an indicator when your device is charging or draining.

There is a link to access Battery use. This section is very useful, as it can show you battery usage across all your apps. This information can be very valuable to understand better which apps you probably want to be careful or stay away from when you're not plugged in.

Hope the information provided is helpful. Do let us know if you have any queries related to Windows, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh Kumar.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ramesh,

I bought a new battery (replacement as my model HP Mini 110-3103tu is no longer supported) and it first charged OK (100%), then I checked the draining and it switched to battery saving (dimmed screen) at 20%, then I got the correct Low Battery warning at 8% (default stings balanced power plan) and finally at 7% the critical warning so I switched off and recharged. But now the battery does not fully recharge, I get 96% on my task bar and when I do a battery check: powercfg /batteryreport /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\battery_report.html

I get the following:

NAME 4400
MANUFACTURER Hewlett-Packard
SERIAL NUMBER Li4402A
CHEMISTRY Li
DESIGN CAPACITY 47,520 mWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 41,990 mWh
CYCLE COUNT -

17:34:41 Active AC 100 % 41,990 mWh
17:34:41 Active Battery 100 % 41,990 mWh
17:43:24 Suspended 96 % 40,311 mWh
2016-01-13 00:56:42 Active Battery 96 % 40,311 mWh
00:56:42 Active AC 96 % 40,311 mWh
00:56:42 Report generated AC 96 % 40,311 mWh

To me this looks like each time the new battery loses a bit of its capacity. Should I return the battery (6 months guarantee) to HP or is there something wrong with Windows10 Battery Check/calibration? 

Appreciate your advice

Frank

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 15, 2024 Views 7,343 Applies to: