Windows 10 PC takes around 30 minutes to completely shut down

My system is Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB x64. The OS shuts down without any errors, the screen goes black, but the coolers keep spinning and the light on the front panel keeps glowing for 30-40 minutes or so.

A couple of times even something like this occured: it looked like the PC is shutting down, as per usual, but then, when even after 1hr it was still spinning, I turned on the monitor and the login screen was on.

It has been going on like this for a few months or so. When it started, my hardware was the same. The only thing that could've changed probably was either Windows updates, or the graphics card driver updates. At the moment all software is up to date and besides that the computer is running smoothly.

What is the make and model of your computer?
What have you done so far to troubleshoot the problem?
How long has this been happening?
Have you installed any new software or hardware drivers since you started experience this problem? If so, what are they and are they designed for Windows 10?
Have you checked the manufacturers website or contact support find out about compatibility, updates or support for Windows 10?
Do you have a system restore point created you could go back to?
Does the problem occur in other user accounts on the computer?
Which version of Windows 10 is currently installed: 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703, 1709?
Which version of Windows did you upgrade from?

Awaiting your reply.
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the reply! First thing I tried after reading your post was logging in with another Windows account. And yes, the PC actually shut down normally from there. I logged back into my working account and tried closing all running autostart programs, those that have icons near the watch (they are AutoHotkey, ArsClip, and Rainmeter). And the PC shut down normally again. But after that, to make sure it's one of them was causing the problem, I tried shutting down the PC normally as I always did, and once again, now it shuts down as it supposed to, even with those apps running near the watch.

So I have no idea what was that and what to make of it.

And my Windows version is 1607

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It turns out that this happens only after the computer has been working for a while. If I just turn it on and then turn off in a few minutes, it shuts down normally. So I think it's clear that the problem is not the hardware. But here are the specs:

Intel i7-6400T
Asus Z170-P
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (Gigabyte)
Kingston SHFS37A120G SSD
x2 Kingston DDR4 4GB PC4-17000 CL15
Reboto DDR4 8GB ddr4PC2133P 2400Mhz
Chieftec GPE-500s 500W

>What have you done so far to troubleshoot the problem?

Nothing except for closing all the apps before shutting down. I will also try killing all third-party processes and services next time, but I believe that's more of an OS issue if it allows some software to interfere with its shut-down process. :)

>How long has this been happening?

A few months maybe, I can't recall for sure.

>Have you installed any new software or hardware drivers since you started experience this problem? If so, what are they and are they designed for Windows 10?

Drivers for my graphics card are updating every month or so, and that's it about drivers I believe.

>Have you checked the manufacturers website or contact support find out about compatibility, updates or support for Windows 10?

All my current hardware has been working fine for about 6 months with this OS.

>Do you have a system restore point created you could go back to?

No.

>Does the problem occur in other user accounts on the computer?

I'm aftaid I won't be able to test it for more than a few minutes. After that time it shuts down fine just like my main account/

> Which version of Windows 10 is currently installed: 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703, 1709?

> Which version of Windows did you upgrade from?

I didn't upgrade, I installed the OS afresh. Before that I was using Windows 7.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 2, 2022 Views 164 Applies to: