Question

Q: Windows 10 DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE

I have been running Win 7 for years with no problem. Now, after going to Win 10 I am getting this frequently on shutdown and restart.

I have spent hours trying to sort out drivers, malware defences, etc., but who cares.  All the suppliers point the finger at others!

As a 30+ year retired IT veteran, I remember well the "fun" debugging IBM core dumps. Surely, after all this time Microsoft could be a bit better?

I am not asking for them to solve the problem, for goodness sake, just give me a clue as to where to look!!

It is ntoskrnl.exe that is getting irritated (remember NT? and you thought it had gone, ha!)  All it needs to do is before it declares that "I" have a problem and it is gathering information to "help" me and then restart.  What is does not do is just give me the name of the driver or device that it is irritated with.

If there are any "old farts" in Microsoft that might, like me, have welcomed the advent of AbendAid in the IBM MVS environment, can they not do a little better in helping us than just providing core dumps.

Just give me the name of what caused the problem and I will take it from there, please.

Answer

A:

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

Let us know the make and model of your computer.

This error normally indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.

Please update the display adapter drivers and check.

a. Press Windows key + X on the desktop Screen and select Device manager.

b. Expand Display adapters, right click on display adapter listed, click update driver software.

c. Restart the computer and check if it works fine.

For more information, you may refer to this link.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559329%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

System Restore disclaimer: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed are removed. 

I have sent you a private messages to upload the logs, please upload them in the private message.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

245 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 45,013 Last updated: May 21, 2018 Applies to: