Question

Q: Windows 10 creators update - Screen does not come back on after sleep/hibernate

After updating to Windows 10 creators update (1703), my laptop display does not turn on after resuming from sleep or hibernate (80% of the time).  I can wake the display by causing the adapter to sync when an external HDMI display is plugged in.  Obviously, for some reason the display is not told to wake up after sleep/hibernate.

I have a Dell Latitude E6530 with NVIDIA NVS 5200M display adapter.

Here's what I've tried:

• Updated the display driver to 21.21.13.7735 (May 1, 2017) from NVIDIA
  • Updated BIOS to A21 (latest available today)
  • Updated all other drivers (NIC, storage, etc...) using Dell Driver Detect
  • Tried using "Project" to change active screen.  This doesn't do anything as there aren't any other screens attached.  If one is connected the main screen comes back on.
  • Disabled hibernation and only used sleep.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

There are several reasons for this issue to happen, like the computer needs to be restarted in order for the changes to take effect or it could also be the power settings. In order for us to efficiently assist you with your concern regarding the issue of waking up from sleep/hibernation, we just have a few questions for you:

1. Aside from the Creators Update, were there any changes made to your computer prior to the issue?
  2. If you have change the power plan settings, have you tried restarting the computer?
  3. Have you tried running the power troubleshooter?

Regards.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

Thanks for your response.  

1. There were no changes between the time 1703 was installed and when the problem first presented itself in fact it was the same day (May 18, 2017).
  2. I haven't modified the power plan since Windows 10 was first installed.
  3. The Power Troubleshooter reports no errors. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem: Windows 10, Medion desktop PC and Medion monitor.

Power Options exactly the same before and after Creator update:

Screen: when plugged in, turn off after "10 minutes"

Sleep: when plugged on PC goes to sleep after "30 minutes"

Until Creator update moving the mouse brought both PC out of sleep and turned on the monitor.

Since Creator update moving the mouse brings PC out of sleep, turns on the monitor - but with a blank screen!

Currently, I am switching the monitor off and back on again to get the screen.

This anomaly appears totally down to the Creator update.  

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not going to call this solved yet. But I disabled Fast Startup, and the problem has not come back after going to sleep 4 times now.  I'll keep it like this for a few days and re-enable it again to see if the issue comes back again.

Sorry this didn't help.

17 people were helped by this reply

I have now turned off fast startup, like you.  Will report back on progress. Mine is a desktop, yours a laptop, so between us we seem to be covering many bases.

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

OK.  Sad news.  It did it again.  This time, it took a couple of days to happen again.  I didn't think Fast Startup was related to sleep, but it was worth a shot.

Sorry this didn't help.

Surprisingly, my desktop has not failed since turning Fast Startup off. May just be coincidence, of course.  I will turn it back on and run it for a few days, then report back.

Sorry this didn't help.

Still happening with Fast Startup off.  Anyone else have anything to report?

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

Hi,

We encourage you to submit your issue using the Feedback Hub. You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. We gather additional details and information about your issue when you submit a feedback item. These details and information will help determine what's causing it so that we can address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app. Please revisit frequently, to see the status of your feedback items

In order to submit a new feedback, kindly follow these steps:

1. On a Windows 10 device, search for Feedback Hub in Cortana search, then launch the app.
  2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
  3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
  4. Once you've completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
  5. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
  6. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).
  7. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.

Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you're done.

Regards.

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

@EzDee36 - my problem has disappeared!?! After turning fast startup off the problem went away (as reported), after turning fast startup back on it still hasn't reappeared so I have to assume it is no longer a problem. It was 100% immediately after creator update, switched fast startup off/on - never seen it since. Very peculiar, but now I don't see the problem I will forget about it and withdraw from this thread.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 26,398 Last updated: July 18, 2018 Applies to: