Windows 10 Battery power settings not working as configured

HP Pavilion DV7 running Windows 10 w/latest build

Problem: Power settings are not working as I have configured them using win 10 Advanced power options "Battery"

Settings: Critical battery notification "on"         Low Battery Notification "on"

Critical battery action "shutdown"      Low battery action "do nothing"

Critical Battery level "9%"                   Low battery level "20%

Reserve battery level "9%"

PROBLEM - The battery icon displays something other than 25% and then the Low Battery message appears and immediately goes into shutdown. This happens no matter what the battery icon displays (i.e. 26% 75%, 30%, etc) I have performed the following ...

Windows 10 trouble shooter for battery, HP trouble shooter for battery, SFG trouble shooter report/fix, uninstall/reinstall battery drivers, (holding power button down for 30 seconds) installed a new battery with same results! After plugging in my laptop and restarting, the icon then displays 9% which is the "Critical power % setting. So, is the battery display icon wrong? or is win 10 using the critical setting for low battery action instead of the low battery action? The only power setting that I use that is working is the Sleep action setting.

Also, after shutdown occurs the battery charges to 100%. However, if charged before the shutdown occurs, it only charges to 99%.

Based upon all my testing, it appears that this is a Win 10 problem which I think started after the April 2018 update.

Has anyone else reported this problem? If so, whats the fix?

IrvM

Hi IrvM, please try this:

Open Device Manager (accessible by right clicking your Start Button)

Expand the Batteries section

For each device in that section:

Right click and choose Disable

Then right click and choose Enable

Close Device Manager

Open the Settings App

Go to Update & Security - Troubleshoot

Run these troubleshooters

Hardware and devices

Power

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi DaveM,

Already did that - problem remains

IrvM

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Press Windows key + X
Click Device Manager
Expand Batteries
Right-click Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System.
Choose Update Driver Software.
Make sure you are connected to the Internet, the check for updates.

Check if its working...

Other things you can try....

1. Run Windows 10 Battery Diagnostics

If your battery isn’t fully charging, the first thing you can try is the Battery troubleshooter in Windows 10.

Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Troubleshoot
Scroll down then click Power
Click Run the troubleshooter

Complete the wizard then restart your device to see if the problem is resolved.

Most laptop computers include their own factory diagnostics utilities, too. It is recommended you also use those to test your battery. Accessing the diagnostics will vary by manufacturer, so, consult the documentation that came with your computer. Before you run a test, you might need to first fully charge the device to 99 or 100 percent, disconnect the AC adapter, boot into the diagnostic utility then run the test.

2. Check if Your AC Power Supply is Properly Connected

Sometimes the power cable connected to your AC power supply brick might be loose. Check to make sure it is fitted and secured properly.

3. Try a Different Wall Outlet and Check for Low Voltage and Electrical Issues

The other day, my house had some serious electrical issues going on. You would be amazed how much voltage issues can affect the performance of your system. Plugging in my laptop into an outlet within my room dimmed the light, while an outlet in the living room caused it to wink.

Another room it remained constant but charging was horribly slow. This, of course, meant I had low voltage issues and with so many appliances competing for the little bit of faulty energy, it made it even worse. Ultimately, I ended hiring an electrician to sort out the issues. After fixing it up, my laptop started charging normally.

4. Test with Another Charger

I mentioned the AC power adapter earlier. It’s possible your charger might be the culprit. If you have a working spare laying around the home, give it a try to see if it charges. You can also borrow one from your work colleague if you don’t have any. If you don’t have access to another charger, try yours on another laptop to see if it charges the device.

If you are mixing and matching laptop power adapters, make sure you choose the correct power supply (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=s...). Read the brick and make sure it has the same polarity and voltage as the adapter for your laptop.

5. Remove All External Devices

If you keep external devices such as a smartphone, a USB external drive, mouse, printer and anything else attached to your system while charging, it will take longer for your battery to reach 100%. Make sure you disconnect all of those devices so your system won’t be competing with all the other electronics.

6. Check Your Connectors for Dirt or Damage

If your laptop has a modular battery, remove it then check for any damage or to see if it needs cleaning around the contacts and inside the battery compartment. Also, check if there are any dust particles inside the charging port that might be preventing the battery from charging.

7. Check for BIOS and Chipset Driver Updates

Sometimes your system might be overdue for an update for components such as your BIOS and Chipset. Updates can help resolve bugs that might be preventing the battery from charging efficiently.

8. Press and Release Power Button Reset

Sometimes unknown glitches can prevent the battery from charging. An easy way to fix it is to power down your computer, hold down the power button for 15 to 30 seconds, plug in the AC adapter, then start the computer.

9. Disable Apps and Check Battery Usage in Windows 10

Going back to Windows 10 a bit, recently, I noticed my Surface Pro was taking an unusually long time to charge and the fans started to rev up. Little did I notice the culprit was right there on my Taskbar all along. Slack’s Windows client was waiting in an attempt to connect to the Internet. So, checking your apps to determine whats running in the background can help you not only conserve battery life but limit what prevents it from charging faster.

There are a couple ways to do that. Open Start > Settings > Privacy > Background apps. Scroll down then toggle off the apps that might be preventing your device from reaching a full charge.

Still in Settings, open System > Battery > Battery usage by app. This will tell you which apps are using the most battery and you can make a decision what to do, whether to let Windows decide if it should run in the background while not sacrificing battery life.

10. Replace Charger or Battery Module

Ultimately, if you don’t see any improvements after trying all the above, then it’s maybe best that you replace either the charger or battery itself. This will require contacting your laptop manufacturer and placing an order. Batteries and the chargers are not necessarily cheap, especially if its an older system. But, if you have no choice, its something you will just have to do to get your system back in working order.

Source....

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/troubleshoot-b...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andre,

I already tried all of your suggestions as I described in my post but I forgot to mention all of them as I tried so many. As for applying any chip or driver updates, I did perform those checks using the HP service provided software tools and they came up with no updates needed and the trouble shooter said my battery cells were all good.

I also did some further testing and here are the results ...

After the shutdown occurs, and plugged back in to recharge, it gets to 100%. When I let it go down to the low battery level, the low battery message appears and it does NOT shutdown. However, after recharging it again, and running the battery back down to the low battery level, it again, displays the message and automatically goes into shutdown. So, it appears that when you let the battery drain down to low battery level, whatever it is set to, it will recharge to 100%, but if you charge it before it drains down to low battery level, it only charges to 99% and automatically goes into shutdown before you have a chance to plug it back in. This makes it very difficult to know when this will occur, so I have to keep it plugged in all the time.

Irvm

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What is the exact make and model?

Open Start, type: system information
Hit Enter
Click System summary
Look in the right pane

Copy the system sku info into reply here.

See example: https://imgur.com/qzektpA

Which version of Windows 10 is currently installed? See how to verify:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

Which version and edition Windows did you originally upgrade from or was installed prior to your current version:

Windows 10 - 1703, 1607, 1511, 1507 (build 10240)

Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 14, 2024 Views 7,522 Applies to: