Windows 10 1809 will not wake up from sleep, restart always required.

After cumulative update January 2019 of win 10 ver 1809, the computer does recognize wake up events from sleep (Before the Jan 2019 cumulative update it could wake up from keyboard press, mouse click or even by remote desktop trigger from LAN).  I confirmed that that the wake up from keyboard and mouse were still enabled in control panel, and even tried to do remote desktop login to wake up from sleep but all to no avail.

This is definitely an issue from the January 2019 cumulative update because the ver 1809 update installed in December 2018 worked fine.

My temporary work around is to disable the sleep function from the desktop and leave it on all the time but this is wasteful of electricity.

Question Info

Last updated August 15, 2019 Views 727 Applies to:
Hi opticslb,
I am Vijay, an Independent Advisor. I am here to work with you on this problem.

There can be several causes but to start with, you can try following. Please try these options one by one and check after each option.

1. Troubleshoot Power
Type troubleshoot in Cortana Search > Click Troubleshoot > Scroll down > Click Power > Run the troubleshooter > Follow on-screen direction.

2. Restore Default for Power Settings
Windows Key+I > System > Power & sleep > Click Additional power settings to open Power options > Click Change Plan Settings > Click Restore default settings for this plan

3. Disable Fast Startup
Reach to Power options as in previous step > Click Choose what the power buttons do > Click Change settings that are currently unavailable > Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup > Click Save changes

4. Uninstall / Install Battery Driver (Only for laptops)
Shut down your computer > Detach power chord > Remove battery (if fixed no need to remove) > Attach power chord > Reboot your computer
Windows Key+X > Device Manager > Expand Batteries > Right-click Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System > Uninstall > Shutdown the computer > Remove the power chord > Attach your battery > Attach your power chord > Reboot the computer to automatically install the driver

Do let me know if you have any more question or require further help.
Best regards
Vijay Verma

Timezone: UTC+05:30, PST+12:30
Availability Hours (UTC) : 05:00 AM - 05:00 PM

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello opticslb,

I'm Independent Advisor and Microsoft MVP, here to help you with your question.

Please run Power troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot. Let us know what it reports back.

Regards.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Helping Windows users, since 2010 · Please remember to mark replies as answers, if they helps!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello opticslb,

I'm Independent Advisor and Microsoft MVP, here to help you with your question.

Please run Power troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot. Let us know what it reports back.

Regards.

Power troubleshooter did not detect any issues except my manual setting to prevent computer going to sleep (as I cant wake it up)!

Sorry this didn't help.