Sleep Mode - How I fixed my Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10 sleep problems.

How I fixed my Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (Sleep Mode).

I upgraded to Windows 10 almost 2 weeks ago. The experience was OK except for one huge nagging problem. My system would no longer go to sleep and wake up properly without crashing and restarting or getting BSOD (DPC_Watchdog_Violation errors). Sometimes it just wouldn't go to sleep at all. The screen would go black but the hard drive light would start to go crazy along with the fan throttling up with the lid closed or when the timer ran down to put the system into Sleep mode. Several times it got so hot that I felt the system would damage itself and I had to hold the power button to do a hard shutdown. This is totally unacceptable for a system that worked perfectly on both Windows 7 Ultimate and 8.1 

I have been dealing with this issue since day 1 and I have spent several hours each day since trying to find a remedy to fix this problem. After hours and hours of reading through the threads on this forum I ran into dead end after dead end. And like many people who upgraded NONE of the fixes or suggestions (and yes, I've tried them all) that other community members or Guru's suggested have worked to make the system perform the way it is supposed to. I simply need a system that will go to sleep an return to where I left off. It may be an hour, it maybe 2 or 3 hours, or even a day or two. I just need the system to go to sleep and wakeup like Windows 7 and 8 did.

So last night at 3:30 am, after reading a few more responses to my forum questions I came to a point where I realized this wasn't going to be fixed. I was moments away from downgrading back to a perfectly working Windows 7…. But just before I started the process I decided to backup the data on my drive. I went to my closet to retrieve a backup drive and low and behold I found a Kingston SSD drive sitting in the box that I keep my backup drives in. I totally forgot I bought this SSD a few months ago from Newegg in an online special they had. That got me thinking…. I had already made an installation DVD using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (I like having a hard copy of the OS) so I thought, "What the heck?"

I grabbed a screwdriver, popped the cover off the back of the laptop and removed both hard drives and installed the SSD. Re-Installed the battery, plugged it up and placed the Windows 10 DVD in the drive. Long story short, about 30 minutes and several reboots later I have a WORKING and activated installation of Windows 10 Pro on my Dell XPS 17. Best part is SLEEP works! Its fast to power down and it wakes back up where I left off when I close the lid (manually) or when the system hits the timer limit (lid open).
Yahoo! It finally works!

I'm currently typing this post on the new full installation of Windows 10 Pro on the SSD I installed. The system boots and shuts down quickly and all updates and drivers installed correctly except for one driver. Dell installs a "free fall sensor" to protect the hard drives from accidental falls. After retrieving the "STMicroelectronics 3-Axis Digital Accelerometer" driver from the Dell website all is now in perfect order. The only bad thing? The system is totally devoid of any of my previously installed programs and data. Huge pain in the butt to get it back to the way I need to have it to be a working and productive system. I have a lot of info and programs to move over and install so its gonna be a while. I'll probably just swap the drives out until I have time to make the move fully from my old drive.

My thought about this whole process?…. What a bunch of baloney!
Microsoft has had plenty of time to have this resolved since SLEEP problems first surfaced back in October of 2014. Consumers should never have to deal with these kind of problem and this should have been fixed months ago in pre-release versions for the beta testers and engineers to work out. I hope you are hearing this Microsoft, the upgrade process is BROKEN and simply doesn't work for many people across many different hardware platforms. I really tried to avoid doing a complete and clean install and spent hours and hours trying to avoid it. Microsoft should probably be promoting a clean install instead of upgrading. The only kicker here is you have to activate Windows 10 from an upgrade situation if you don't have Windows 7 or 8 media (DVD).

Doing a simple upgrade would make life sooo much easier! Unfortunately, doing a clean install using the Media Creation Tool seems to be the only true solution to having a working copy of Windows 10 on my Dell XPS 17. I suspect this will be the only way many others will be able to get a working Windows 10 installation as well.

So what does this mean for many of us that are experiencing problems?

1) You will have to upgrade from your current version of Windows to Windows 10 (broken)
2) Activate Windows 10 on your machine
3) Create Windows 10 DVD or ISO file using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool
4) Downgrade and then backup your programs and data (you could also backup at step 1 before you do the upgrade)
5) Wipe the existing drive and  do a full "clean" install or install a new drive and keep the old drive as a working backup of Windows 7 or 8.
6) Re-install all of your old programs, data and tweaks.
7) Finally enjoy Windows 10

I hope this helps many you to keep from pulling your hair out. Unfortunately, its not an easy solution but it does work… finally.

Good luck and let me know what you think!

~Jeff

My Machine Specs:
Dell XPS 17 (L702X)
Intel i7 2820QM @ 2.30Ghz (3.4Ghz turbo)
16Gb DDR3-1333 Ram
3Gb Nvidia GeForce GT 555M graphics with 3D-Vision
512Gb SSD (operating system) and 1Tb HD (internal storage)
2 x USB 3, HDMI out, Bluray drive

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thank you for your detailed response.  I am, however not that tech savvy so...............FIX THIS Microsoft.  It rests solely on your shoulders.  You delivered a faulty product.  Your customers should not have to fix it.  If you had sold this, instead of offering it for free, you might have a lawsuit on your hands.
I think I'll just wait until it's time to buy a new computer.  Not my cup of tea, Microsoft 😕

So, the drama doesn't end....

I finally get Windows 10 to work correctly via clean install onto a new drive and I now find out that I can't revert back to Window 7 on my old drive because Windows 10 says files needed to go back have been deleted from my hard drive.... **** Microsoft! You have got to be kidding me, after roughly 2 weeks I can't go back to a working Windows 7 because there are files missing? I didn't delete any files and have been extremely careful not to change anything on that drive knowing I would probably be going back to Windows 7. Unbelievable!!!!! I feel like Microsoft has stolen my drive and working OS... this is too much MS BS!!!

I imagine that this would work, but having to manually put my computer to sleep when I step away is not as big an inconvenience as resetting EVERYTHING. Thank you for working on this, but I'm going to have to wait until the people I paid fix the product they sold me. I'm not the most computer savvy, but I am pretty certain that a sleep function is relatively simple and wouldn't take more than an hour or two of dev work.
You would think? That as much chatter as there has been about this issue a "hotfix" would have appeared rather quickly to help the innocent people who trusted MS with the "free" OS upgrade. But no, just crickets from the behemoth. It's well documented on this forum that this SLEEP issue has been a problem since October of 2014! I knew better than to jump on the wagon too soon and like many others, I'm paying for it with frustration from a company who doesn't seem to care who they screw. I'd be happy to just go back to the way things were before the upgrade but now that has been conveniently broken by MS when I used the Media Creation Tool to make an install DVD. Why, why, why....?
I also have a Dell XPS 17 L702x laptop. I am experiencing the same Watchdog Violation errors coincident with using sleep mode. If I disable sleep mode, everything is fine. I installed Windows 10 as the normal upgrade to my Windows 8.1 Pro installation, after accepting the online upgrade. Other than the sleep mode issue, Windows 10 is performing quite well. My hard drive is a 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD. I have been considering reverting back to Windows 8.1 pro and will probably do so if this issue is not resolved by Microsoft. Sleep mode is an integral part of using a laptop computer.
I would never have upgraded to Windows 10 if I had known this issue existed.  My fault for not checking and trusting.  Fool me once Microsoft, never again.  Your inaction and silence on this issue is deplorable and speaks volumes to your character and ethics.

I also have a Dell XPS 17 L702x laptop. I am experiencing the same Watchdog Violation errors coincident with using sleep mode. If I disable sleep mode, everything is fine. I installed Windows 10 as the normal upgrade to my Windows 8.1 Pro installation, after accepting the online upgrade. Other than the sleep mode issue, Windows 10 is performing quite well. My hard drive is a 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD. I have been considering reverting back to Windows 8.1 pro and will probably do so if this issue is not resolved by Microsoft. Sleep mode is an integral part of using a laptop computer.

The Sleep mode issue has been well documented as has been an ongoing problem since October of 2104. I like the "Clean install" that I did from the DVD I made with the Media Creation Tool the best. Windows 10 boots really fast and goes to sleep and wakes up almost instantly. Unfortunately the upgrade I did from Windows 7 on the original drive boots faster the lack of a functioning Sleep mode is frustrating.

BEWARE!!! After trying to fix the sleep issue for the past 2 weeks I decided to go back to Windows 7.

I now get this error. And I did not remove any files!!! Microsoft has hijacked my laptop and won't let me have my old working system back!

I have almost the exact specs as you - including the 840 EVO SSD - and I have the same problem, as well. I can just stop using sleep mode completely in my system, I guess, but really, Microsoft needs to address this. Terrible, terrible, terrible situation. 

I have almost the exact specs as you - including the 840 EVO SSD - and I have the same problem, as well. I can just stop using sleep mode completely in my system, I guess, but really, Microsoft needs to address this. Terrible, terrible, terrible situation. 

Hello everyone.
I'm terribly sorry for you Airdog99,cause on my end we ended up finding an easier method for you to fix this.

Turns out that a specific driver causes all this **** and a simple downgrade is all it takes.You can follow this link to end up to the post that has the easiest solution (and the most solid fix IMO)
Thanks for attempting to help the community though.Sorry again I wish this could have been found quicker.
Worth to note:This driver fix isn't 100% solid thus your computer might still face these problems even if you attempt it.I can confirm it worked on my PC but I have seen posts all around saying that it still didn't fix the issue.Nevertheless it's quick and worth a try just in case.If it doesn't work then I guess Airdog's fix would be the only one that might fix your issue.
-JM

-JM

Discussion Info

Last updated August 30, 2020 Views 8,958 Applies to: